How Often Do Smart Meters Send Readings To Supplier?

Level 91
    Hi,

I have smart meters. On my on-line account, in the Meter Read History, the last Electric reading logged was nearly three weeks ago and the reading type was SMART. The last Gas reading was logged on the same day and the reading type was MANUAL. I did submit a manual gas reading as it took a while for my gas meter to start communicating with my IHD so presumably with Eon Next too.

The Gas has never shown a SMART reading although the meter has been communicating with my IHD for a couple of weeks now.

Before I phone the help line and wait a long time, can anyone tell me how often the smart meters should be sending readings? Also, if you look on your online account Meter Read History are there regular SMART readings logged there?

When my previous supplier installed the meters they were set to their recommended reading frequency which I think was several times a day.

Thanks in advance.
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    Well, after exactly 6 months since joining Eon Next both my Gas and Electricity meters have sent a smart reading on the same day and I have been billed accordingly. So I guess it's just a matter of being patient.
    Level 29
    @JoeSoap Looks like you might need help from a smart meter expert here on View Profile: - E.ON Next Community (eonnext.com)
    Just sent them a private message and let us know how you get on or if not why not?
    All the best.
    Level 1
    Hi,

I have smart meters. On my on-line account, in the Meter Read History, the last Electric reading logged was nearly three weeks ago and the reading type was SMART. The last Gas reading was logged on the same day and the reading type was MANUAL. I did submit a manual gas reading as it took a while for my gas meter to start communicating with my IHD so presumably with Eon Next too.

The Gas has never shown a SMART reading although the meter has been communicating with my IHD for a couple of weeks now.

Before I phone the help line and wait a long time, can anyone tell me how often the smart meters should be sending readings? Also, if you look on your online account Meter Read History are there regular SMART readings logged there?

When my previous supplier installed the meters they were set to their recommended reading frequency which I think was several times a day.

Thanks in advance.

Did you get any answer to this at all?? Same with me.
    I have the same problem as well - after being changed from Npower to Eon-Next.
    Had a few estimated readings as well, since Jan 2021. I thought standard was Supplier must take an actual reading at least within 6 months.
    I sent a Direct MMessage (DM) to : Hatwildeman - A Head of Community
    Not heard back from them though.
    Tried all the reboot methods as well to no avail.

Hope you get a response as I'll keep an eye on this thread,
    to see if I can get my similar problem solved or have to change supplier.
    Level 91
    Thanks for the replies. It seems that this is not an uncommon problem.

It's not something that's causing me too much grief as my manual gas readings are being accepted and applied to my bills.

Things seem to happen slowly at Eon Next so I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

I will report back if anything changes.
    Level 29
    If you are on a fixed tariff, stick with it, given the circumstances with the price of gas now (if you know what's good for you).
    Thinking that the grass is greener on another side (company) may backfire for you. Every company is operating at a loss at the moment, and dealing with customers with 'great expectations' for customer service inter alia, is not a priority issue at the moment. Wake up and smell the coffee!