SMART meter reading

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I have a SMART? meter and have just received a statement for 31 Aug - 27 Sept., 28 days. The charge for usage, daily standing charge and VAT amounts to £54.01, an average of £1.92/day. The in house display gives the readings for the final seven days of the statement, 21 - 28 Sept. and that averages £1.28/day, plus we were away from home from 12 - 15 Sept. Does the in house display include the daily standing charge and VAT? We do have solar panels, but the FIT is not paid by EON, but by British Gas. Any ideas why there is such a discrepancy between the in house display and the statement please?
    Update - I have asked questions on the FB private messaging and also by email and the person responding just sent a copy of the statement, which I have already told them that I am querying. No answer to my questions, so I replied to them yesterday and nothing. Now, I have phoned Eon and the recorded message tells me to look online (no use, as my questions are not addressed), or to phone next week. Are they having a long weekend off work?
    Last edited by Nessie; 01-10-21 at 13:04. Reason: Adding more info.
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    Hi. I seem to have a similar situation to yourself. I’m trying to establish what data e-on’s is supplying to my IHD and impact on the information being displayed. Like you I have solar panels and a FIT, although mine is with SSE. Recently I was transferred to e-on Next as a result of my energy supplier, Hub, going bust. The transfer is progressing slowly but I’ve been able to piece together how and what information is provided by e-on’s systems.

To answer your questions:

1 Does the in home gadget, which shows the daily cost, include the standing charge and VAT?

I have a Hub IHD which is now almost working properly with e-on. The details displayed for me cover daily, weekly, WTD, monthly, MTD and YTD costs. All include the standing charge and VAT for each period shown. Elsewhere the meter shows my e-on tariff for both Gas and Electricity for the daily standing charge and each kWh consumed and these are the rates inclusive of VAT.

2. When reading the electric meter, is it the input or output reading that is used to calculate the bill?

I assume this is in relation to your export tariff for the FIT. If so then it’s based on your actual electricity consumption with e-on. Since you have two separate contracts your FIT details with British Gas is not available to e-on. Your electricity meter should just show the electricity e-on are supplying to you, irrespective of the export of your electricity to the grid.

When my solar panels were originally installed I had an old rotating dial electric meter which suddenly started going backwards when electricity was exported into the grid. After a while this caused major problems when it came to the bills. I was never advised this meter should have been replaced when the panels were installed since the meter should never go backwards, just stop, so only the consumption part is being recorded by this supply meter. The FIT meter records the export part and I was therefore being paid twice. Unsurprisingly the new meter was installed very quickily when they realised what was happening.

3. If you have solar panels, where the FIT is paid by another provider, does that impact on your bill?

It has no impact at all on your bill from e-on. Since the supply meter stops when you are exporting electricity to the grid, it is only recording what you actually consume and is therefore an accurate record of your consumption.

I do have an issue with my Hub IHD since the daily kWh consumption for gas is always 0, but when I switch it to show the daily cost a value always appears. This is not the case for the other periods such as weekly and monthly where kWh is being displayed. Seems to be a glitch in the system but on calculating the gas cost from the actual consumption it’s overcharging me. What is curious is the electricity calculations for cost are 100% accurate. Since I haven’t yet received a bill from e-on I’ll wait to see if this is a system glitch or a real problem with their billing system. I therefore cannot comment on your disparity between the statement and IHD, although I am recording the IHD information. As far as I can tell my actual meter readings exactly match those shown on the IHD.
    Level 1
    OK, so nobody has responded to my question, including E-on. I will now ask simple questions which I have already put to Eon.
    1 Does the in home gadget, which shows the daily cost, include the standing charge and VAT?
    2. When reading the electric meter, is it the input or output reading that is used to calculate the bill?
    3. If you have solar panels, where the FIT is paid by another provider, does that impact on your bill?
    Level 1
    @Scubamartinsa

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had almost worked out the answers to my questions and realise that the electric reading used by Eon is the import one. We have been taking the cost reading each day, since our last bill, on the in home monitor to see if it matches the reading in the box. In our meter box there are three readings, import, export and bill. The one for bill does not match the sum of the readings on our in home monitor. Much more worrying is that our tariff expires in late November and we have received a projection of our costs for next year. Horrendous!!