If I Click "Renew" Do the Tariffs Stay the Same?

Level 3
    I'm up for renewal. My current package is the v50 for 12 months and comparing rates still seems to be the best (despite my bills going up!), if I click the renew button will the rates stay as they are now or am I going to be surprised by different rates?

I'm also interested to renew for 24 months, does anyone know if there is an option for this on v50 and if there is an option for lower rates for a longer contract?

Thanks

UPDATE: I risked clicking further through renewal option. At this point renewal prices came up, so anyone else at this point you can safely click "renew now" and then choose your new deal. The cheapest is TRIPLE what I pay now, so needless to say I won't be renewing lol
    Last edited by Biomech; 22-09-21 at 11:39.
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Ahh ok, I gotcha. I'm not an E.On or E.On Next customer myself and I have no connections to them outside of this forum so I've never seen any of this first hand.

If you renew, the rates you'll get will be whatever rates are available at the time you hit the button - and I'm almost certain that they'll be different from what you previously locked in. I strongly recommend against going ahead and "renewing blind" without knowing what you're about to lock in as it's too much of a Pandora's Box scenario if you do. On one hand, the rates could be amazing, on the other they could be horrible.

It sounds to me as if you've encountered a poorly designed UI/UX. You might want to do this over the phone instead - but I'd also recommend checking the wider market again just before making that call, because right now the market is pretty volatile and is rapidly changing daily. I've also looked through the page source for multiple pages on the main site - there's no sign of any live chat scripts so I think it's less of a case of live chat being down and more of a case of it not existing... Unless it's lurking in places that I can't get to...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 78
    Hi.

If you're happy with the rates, it's generally a good idea to lock them in while you still can - because they can and do change daily. If you don't act on the same day quotes are generated, there's absolutely no guarantee that the same rates will be available the next day.

With that being said, price isn't the only factor to consider. You should also think about what you get for your money. Of course, this all depends on your circumstances. Very few people spot the best rate from searching a single site alone! One of my best tips is to compare all your options across multiple different tools first. If you do that, you'll get a much better picture of the market. Saying that though, it's also down to your own judgement. But for me personally, I've found that the cheapest deals tend to be linked to poor service (but not always). Especially important to consider that fact! Such tempting deals are often a bait and switch most of the time. To be honest though, now is probably not a good time for 24 month deals, because the market prices could well drop by this time next year.
    Level 3
    @theunknowntech It says says "click to renew", there's no mention of rates, tarrifs or anything, which is why I ask as I don't want to click "renew" to suddenly find the rates are all completely different. It implies that it would just be a continuation of my current contract but it doesn't actually say anywhere and live chat is always down
    Level 3
    @theunknowntech Thanks for the reply.

To put it into context, now I'm on, for example, 10.50/day and 2.67/kwh and the best price available comparing all other suppliers is 14.27/day and 5.4/kwh!
    So the rates look really good, I'm a bit worried they might be wrong and if Eon see they'll cancel it lol
    Level 78
    Hmm... That seems awfully cheap... Especially when I factor in the current averages across the market right now that makes it seem a bit too cheap. Please make sure to only compare prices you're being offered now by any supplier - you can't really compare last years rates against this years rates because that would definitely throw the results out of line. I might be wrong, but I get the feeling the first set of rates you mentioned just there won't be honoured if you renew, since it sounds like they came from an old quote.

Are you able to pull up the Tariff Information Label for the renewal quote? The rates should be in there - don't proceed if you can't find it!
    Level 3
    @theunknowntech No, that's why I posted, those are my current rates but when I click the "renew" option, without confirming to anything, no where does it state the renewal rates. It implies that they rates will stay the same if I renew, but I'm finding it difficult to find out