Self Isolating and need help

Level 1
    Hello, anybody knows how to get help with electricity (prepayment) when self isolating? We have a positive covid case in the house and we run out of electricity. Emergency credit will run out by tomorrow.
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy!

Just so you know, I'm a forum volunteer so I don't have access to your account and can't make changes.

Sorry to hear of the trouble there, I hope you stay safe. I think there are emergency options available, but here's what I know based on previous reading up elsewhere.

If you're able to, see if you can get a friend or family member to use your top-up keys/cards to top up your meters on your behalf. If the meters are outside, then this should be fairly easy, but otherwise they can always post the key/card through the letterbox once your trusted person returns from the shop, so that you can transfer the credit over to the meters. If you have Smart Meters, any top-ups should automatically transfer within 30 minutes of payment, but the UTRN Top-Up Codes from the shop can be used to manually redeem the top-up if the credit doesn't deliver automatically.

You can also use Emergency Credit and Friendly Credit if you get stuck. I'd also recommend looking at the Warm Home Discount if you're eligible - this can be applied as a credit onto your electric key when you next top-up at a shop.

If you're still stuck, contact E.On as they might be able to help. In some cases, it might be possible to have an engineer visit you to top-up the meters on your behalf, or use another emergency mechanism to help you keep the supply going. It's a case-by-case thing, so you'll definitely want to discuss your situation with customer service.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Staff
    @Lyly Hi there, sorry to hear this and I hope everyone is ok! I'll send you a private message to get a bit more info from you.

Scott - Digi team.
    @Lyly are you okay and has @ScottS sorted this for you?
    Sending positive energy to you,
    Beki 🌍
    Digi Ops Team Leader & Sustainability Enthusiast
    Level 1
    Dear Lyly, ScottS and Beki

I do not know if anyone is listening and minded to help me but I am starting a 10-day period of isolation because I have COVID-19, I live alone, family and friends either do not live close by or are elderly and shielding. I have a Power Key and I would like to know how I can top up. I have no gas heating and am relying on my electric heaters for light, warmth and utility.

I could not find anything on e-on Next's FAQs, there seems no scheme to top up online and I am sure that withn the 65 million or so people living in the UK that there isn't more need for longer term topping up of prepaid keys for people living alone and isolating within e-on Next's group of customers than just relying on the £5 pounds of emergency electricity.

Could someone help please. I sincerely apologise if I have just not looked hard enough for the solution to my problem on e-on Next's website.

Many thanks.

Best regards

Andrew
    @solarboy45 Hey there! Have you got in touch with anyone in the last couple of days to get you back on supply?

Sending positive energy to you,
    Beki
    Level 1
    Dear Becki, thank you for your reply but I think you might have misunderstood me. I am on a prepaid meter because I owe e-on Next (nPower) thousands of pounds and with a prepaid meter if I do not pay, I do not get electricity. My problem is that I cannot buy more electricity to put on my key because I have COVID-19 and therefore cannot go into any shop to top up. My parents are in their 80s. One of them has COVID-19 while the other is having chemotherapy. I do not have much money so can only put a limited amount on the Powerkey each week. I know I only need to isolate for 10 days, consequently I might only have to ask a neighbour once to help me out but does e-on Next have a better answer to this problem? Again, thank you for your reply. Best regards, Andrew
    Head of Community
    Hey Andrew

Beki's not around today but I've just seen your message.

There is definitely something we can do in these situations, we can ask an engineer to pop over and get some money onto the meter for you. We'd just have to ask you to be in a different room and they'd of course wear full PPE so everyone's kept safe.

If you want to send me a direct message with your account details I'll get this arranged.

Thanks

Hannah - Here to spread positive energy