E.ON Next tampering the meter read history?

Level 1
    Hi,

I have had only issues since I have been automatically switched to eon next.
    From email comms not respecting what is advertised about the switch being smooth and transparent, phone support giving me totally wrong information and a lot of hassle to have to do your job for the switch.

Today I still don't have a proper monthly bill that is generated thanks to the smart meter.

However the issue I would like to discuss today is that my meter history has been changed.
    How is that possible?
    My bill saved on my computer shows what was correct at the time. The meter history shows a wrong information.

I also have several 'provisional transaction' notification, I have no idea what it is about.

Eon next, can you please urgently sort your systems, this is PROD level, not testing..
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Staff
    Best Answer
    Morning @maxpuff, thank you so much for taking the time to post on our Community!

This is a place designed for customers to help each other with their general account / supply queries - unfortunately I don't think another customer will be able to answer this question for you as we'd need to look directly into the account.

The great news is our wonderful Digital Teams are available on Facebook & Twitter 8am-10pm 7 days a week, so I'd recommend popping us a private message on a platform of your choosing, and we will look into this for you. You can also email us on hi@eonnnext.com and we'll get back to you as quickly as we can!

If you prefer giving us a ring, our lines are open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday (although given the bank holiday this weekend the lines aren't open until Tuesday). Home related calls 0808 501 5200 Business related calls 0808 501 5699.

Hope this helps!

Beth :)
  • Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Heya!

I have a partial solution here, that might be useful to know. Pretty much all Smart Meters store the reading history locally on the meter itself for up to 13 months - with the oldest data being overwritten once the storage gets full. This applies regardless of whether it's a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter and can be retrieved by the supplier at anytime using SMETS Commands. You could think of it like a backup copy of everything that should have been sent to the supplier. You might also be able to retrieve a copy of it for yourself onto your smartphone or tablet.

There's an app I've heard of called Hildebrand Bright, which is developed by Hildebrand (a well known IHD manufacturer) that can access Smart Meter data for S2 meters and S1 meters that are now connected via DCC (to reassure moderators here, Hildebrand Bright is registered as a SECAS Approved DCC Other User), but it can take several hours to several days to pull all the data if the meters have been active for a while. I've never used the app myself and can't vouch for it, but you're welcome to give it a shot if you'd like to.

If you do decide to use it, the data that the app will show will be raw usage data retrieved directly from your meters and NOT from E.On's records. As such, it's likely to be slightly different since it probably won't include any corrections or adjustments that were applied later on, this is to be expected. On the plus side, the export process will still work even if E.On's systems are throwing a hissy fit, because the app pulls directly from DCC at the same level as suppliers would anyway.

I'm great at bug hunting and have seriously impressed my actual supplier with my skills over the last year. You could say that I've... Been a real Bug Blaster... However, since my actual supplier is completely unrelated to E.On, I can't throw my skills at the Kraken instance that's being used by E.On Next. Shame really. I could really contribute a lot towards breaking and fixing it if I wanted to, but I'm enjoying bug blasting elsewhere too much to want to switch tracks.

Anyway, before I get too side-tracked, I just wanted to sign off by mentioning that regardless of what the supplier does with your meter/usage/billing history in your online account, they can never modify the locally stored copies on your meters themselves because they're basically read-only once saved. And besides, there's no SMETS Command that allows the data to be modified anyway - and no SMETS Command for it means that it's basically... Impossible for the data on the meters to be tampered with remotely (proving a perfect Single Source of Truth!). 😁 Muhahahahaha

Goodnight
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!