Smart Display Function After Switching Supplier

Level 91
    Hi,

This is my second time of writing this so let's hope it works this time.

I recently switched to Eon next and where my smart meter in-house display started to display my electricity use in monetary terms almost immediately. My gas display still does not after two weeks.

I contacted Customer Service and was advised to book an engineer visit which will happen in a few weeks time.

I now understand from reading this forum that it can take several weeks after switching for the display to work fully. I checked the display again and in the Gas Account menu it says ''Waiting for supplier details''.

Was I wrongly advised and should I cancel the engineer visit and just wait another few weeks to see if the display starts to function fully?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
  • 18 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    @JoeSoap Thank you for taking the time to post. I can see that the issue is with your in home display. Would you be able to let me know if your actual gas meter is showing anything on it please? You may have to 'wake' it by pressing the buttons on the meter.

Beki
    Level 78
    To be honest, I'd probably recommend keeping the engineer appointment active, especially for the extra safety net you'll get from it. It seems as if the systems at E.On Next are breaking a lot more than they should, so an engineer visit is probably going to get you a better result than any remote fixes right now.

While it is true that it can take up to six weeks for your meters to transfer over after switching supplier, the behaviours you've described don't sound right and warrants a closer look.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    To be honest, I'd probably recommend keeping the engineer appointment active, especially for the extra safety net you'll get from it. It seems as if the systems at E.On Next are breaking a lot more than they should, so an engineer visit is probably going to get you a better result than any remote fixes right now.

While it is true that it can take up to six weeks for your meters to transfer over after switching supplier, the behaviours you've described don't sound right and warrants a closer look.
    Thank you for your reply, theunknowntech. By the time of my engineer visit it will be almost six weeks from my switch date so I'll keep the appointment booked unless the IHD starts to fully function in the meantime.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap Thank you for taking the time to post. I can see that the issue is with your in home display. Would you be able to let me know if your actual gas meter is showing anything on it please? You may have to 'wake' it by pressing the buttons on the meter.

Beki
    Hi Beki,

Thank you for getting in touch. Yes the gas meter shows the current reading in cubic metres and this can also be found in my IHD. It only seems to be the daily/weekly usage in monetary terms that is missing since switching to you. If I select monthly/annual usage then the IHD still shows how much I spent on gas with my previous supplier. Since switching day I can see what I'm spending on electricity with you but the gas usage still reads £0.00
    Level 91
    Quick update. Just had another look at the gas meter and as I said it displays the actual reading in cubic metres but if I press the button again the balance reads £0.00. I selected 'wake up' and I think something has happened as the 'wake up' option then disappeared. I will check again later to see if anything changes.
    Level 91
    Ok, I’ve used some gas since waking up the gas meter and the volume used has gone up as expected on both the meter and the IHD. Both still reading £0.00 though. The tariff details on the meter all read zero and the last message on there is a welcome from my previous supplier (who fitted the smart meters). From what you’ve said Beki I presume my electric and gas readings are being transmitted to you ok. Perhaps you could confirm that’s the case.
    Level 78
    Six weeks should be long enough to reconnect - provided the meters are SMETS2. I can definitely help you to identify what you've got, but I don't have access to stuff like ECOES and Xoserve, so I'll need your help. Please could you post photos of your meters and IHD in your next reply. I can use these to verify your meter type and whether it's S1 or S2. From there, I can definitely tell you whether they'll simply transfer smoothly or whether you'll need to wait for more time yet.

But yeah, it seems there's no tariff config on them yet.
    Level 91
    Hi theunknowntech,

Both meters are SMETS2 and are... Electric: Aclara SGM1412-B and Gas: Uniflo G4SZV-1 SMETS2. The IHD is a Chameleon 3.

If you need photos then I'll work out how to post them at the weekend when I have some time.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Level 78
    Gotcha, I can definitely verify that as S2. The entire Aclara SGM1400 Series are all S2 meters and your Flonidan UniFlo would be S2 as well, since you can't mix and match S1 and S2 at the same time.

On top of the electric meter, there should be a Communications Hub with either two or five lights. Please can you tell me:
    • Whether it's a WNC, Toshiba or EDMI branded hub
    • If it's got SKU1 Cellular, SKU2 Cellular + Mesh or SKU3 printed on it - this only applies to the WNC and Toshiba comms hubs.
    • Whether it's got two or five lights on the hub - which helps to confirm whether you're in the Northern or Southern Territory
    • Which lights on the hub pulse - and how often each one does so (please ignore the red one to the left of the meter display)

This helps me with diagnostics and potentially whether you still need an engineer visit. Once I have these details, I can recommend further steps.