Smart Display Function After Switching Supplier

Level 91
    1. WNC

2. SKU1 Cellular

3. Five lights... SW WAN MESH HAN GAS

4. SW, WAN, HAN and GAS all pulse green together approximately every four seconds. MESH does not flash at all.

5. Thanks for persevering with this.
    Level 78
    Thanks. This tells me all I need to know.

Firstly, there's no pulse sequence for every four seconds and I very much doubt that all those lights would pulse together every three seconds, so I'm going to assume it's actually every five seconds. This indicates everything is healthy and running normally. You don't need to worry about the MESH light being completely dark - your Comms Hub doesn't have Mesh support anyway and you're also using a direct WAN connection regardless. I don't believe an engineer visit will solve anything in this case. Any fixes that need to be applied can and should be done remotely.

Even if the engineer does turn up, do NOT approve a MEX (Meter Exchange) as this will reset the six week clock and you'll be back to square one. The problem here sounds like either E.On's systems haven't picked up your meters, or something along the way has gone pair shaped... Or that it's just taking a bit longer than expected to commission. Either way, all this stuff can be diagnosed and fixed remotely. It can't be done locally for security reasons.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    Gotcha, I can definitely verify that as S2. The entire Aclara SGM1400 Series are all S2 meters and your Flonidan UniFlo would be S2 as well, since you can't mix and match S1 and S2 at the same time.

On top of the electric meter, there should be a Communications Hub with either two or five lights. Please can you tell me:
    • Whether it's a WNC, Toshiba or EDMI branded hub
    • If it's got SKU1 Cellular, SKU2 Cellular + Mesh or SKU3 printed on it - this only applies to the WNC and Toshiba comms hubs.
    • Whether it's got two or five lights on the hub - which helps to confirm whether you're in the Northern or Southern Territory
    • Which lights on the hub pulse - and how often each one does so (please ignore the red one to the left of the meter display)

This helps me with diagnostics and potentially whether you still need an engineer visit. Once I have these details, I can recommend further steps.

I posted a reply over 12 hours ago but it hasn't shown up so I'll try again. I wish my posts would appear immediately but they all seem to need moderator approval first. Anyway, from my earlier scribbled notes (hope I'm reading them right)...

1. WNC

2. SKU1 Cellular

3. Five lights... SW WAN MESH HAN GAS

4. SW, WAN, HAN and GAS all pulse green every four seconds or so. MESH does not flash at all.

5. Thanks again.
    Level 91
    Oops, my bad. My original reply did appear on the thread. I hadn't realised there was now a page 2. 🙄
    Level 91
    Thanks. This tells me all I need to know.

Firstly, there's no pulse sequence for every four seconds and I very much doubt that all those lights would pulse together every three seconds, so I'm going to assume it's actually every five seconds. This indicates everything is healthy and running normally. You don't need to worry about the MESH light being completely dark - your Comms Hub doesn't have Mesh support anyway and you're also using a direct WAN connection regardless. I don't believe an engineer visit will solve anything in this case. Any fixes that need to be applied can and should be done remotely.

Even if the engineer does turn up, do NOT approve a MEX (Meter Exchange) as this will reset the six week clock and you'll be back to square one. The problem here sounds like either E.On's systems haven't picked up your meters, or something along the way has gone pair shaped... Or that it's just taking a bit longer than expected to commission. Either way, all this stuff can be diagnosed and fixed remotely. It can't be done locally for security reasons.
    Thanks for that, theunknowntech.. I just checked with my phone stopwatch and the lights indeed flash every five seconds... not four as my own poor counting suggested.

I'm inclined to cancel the engineer visit and hope that perhaps one of the Eon Next people see this and can do something from their end.

Thanks for you assistance.
    Level 91
    Well, just in case anyone with similar problems is waiting for an outcome to this, I sent an email to hi@eonnext last week and private messages to two staff members on this forum to ask if this could be passed to the appropriate department to be fixed remotely but have not received a reply from anyone. All I can do is wait for the engineer to visit next week and take it from there. A bit disappointing really.

I will post any outcome here in due course.
    Level 91
    A quick update, as much for my own records as anything else.

It's now 10 days since I emailed hi@eonnext.com to request the engineer visit be cancelled and that this issue be passed to the appropriate department and still no reply. It is two weeks since I sent a PM to one of the admins on here and 5 days since I sent a PM to another of the admins on here also to request the issue be passed to the appropriate department. Still no reply.

I am not on Facebook or Twitter so had to phone the helpline again and thankfully eventually got through to a helpful young man called Richard.

Richard informed me that my email had been received and that the engineer visit was already cancelled. Had I not phoned I would have been waiting at home for four hours not knowing my request had been actioned. Not good service.

I enquired if my meter readings are even being received and it turns out that my smart gas meter is not even sending readings to Eon. I have now had to submit a manual gas reading and the issue has at last been passed to the metering department. The electric meter seems to be working fine.

I was told that I should hear something in the next few days.

Fingers crossed then.
    Level 78
    Yeah, this doesn't seem right to me either. I've been hearing more and more stories of superfast commissions elsewhere for newly installed meters - which I define as being under two weeks post install - so if it's taking this long to run a transfer of your existing meters through... Something's definitely not right. The only other likely culprit I can think of relates to your previous supplier being slow to release control and initiate the handover processes. But even then, I wouldn't expect that to take this long.

Technically speaking, when a particular Site is in the middle of having control of the meters transferred between suppliers, there's an interim period where no supplier has control of them temporarily - since the relinquishing supplier has to release the meters from their control first and then it's a waiting game until the receiving supplier can capture the meters and acquire control. Only one supplier can control the meters at any given time, so it's not really possible to do a more graceful handover (such as have the new supplier take control first and then the old supplier release their control afterwards).

I can only hope yours come back online sooner rather than later.
    Level 91
    Just had a look at my IHD and hey presto my gas has just started registering. That took almost six weeks to the day. If only that was made clear when I switched I would have just sat tight. I only found out about the six week window on here but nobody from Eon Next impressed it upon me... unless it's buried in the small print somewhere.

So, to anyone switching supplier... wait six weeks after switching before worrying about your smart meters not working properly. That said, maybe it was as a result of me pushing for the matter to be passed to the appropriate department that did the trick in the end.

If I hear anything more about it I'll update this thread.

Thanks for all the help, especially theunknowntech.

Happy days.