Where is Smart Meter Thing?

Level 1
    Good Evening

I live in a block of flats and just got my smart meter "done".

The gentleman who installed it said that I don't get an in-home display since the signal won't reach (although I reckon it would, I could punch a hole through my wall to the meter cupboard).

He said instead I would be sent an app that does all the same stuff.
    Obviously it hasn't shown up yet or I wouldn't be in here moaning.

Has anyone else received this app?

Was this gentleman blowing smoke up my [gas pipe]?

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    The installer was telling you porkie pies I'm afraid. They should have paired and left you with an IHD, even if there were range issues. But if you're literally that close to the meter, I fail to see how this would be the case.

There is also no app, you've been told bad info there - E.On Next hasn't even got any apps publicly available yet (unlike every other supplier including the one I've gone with). It's completely impossible to connect a smartphone or tablet directly to Smart Meters using the ZigBee HAN for a whole bunch of reasons. The closest thing that's possible is the special installer-only app that's used purely during the installation process only - which you can't use yourself. Even if there was an app, it would not be able to easily read real-time data. The closest one that I know of is called Hildebrand Bright but it's not technically supported by suppliers directly and you have to use it on a self-service basis.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Get back to them and get an in-home display installed and paired up, it should have been done and the range should be tens of metres, even through walls. Mine works up the garden in the garage for appliances up there, so through a wall and meter box is nothing!
    Level 1
    Thank you both of you for your knowledgeable answers. I'll get on to them today!