Variable Direct Debit?

Hi,

I'm a pensioner and previous NPower customer coming to the end of a Price fix tariff and currently paying by monthly Variable Direct Debit. I have a working Smart meter.

I wish to continue to pay by Variable Direct Debit as I just want to pay for my energy usage every month and not run up a credit/debit in my account. This should be simple as E.On Next are getting regular meter readings from my Smart meter.

The problem I have is when I look to renew my tariff. None of the fixed rate (cheaper) tariffs appear to offer Variable Direct Debit payment plans, only Fixed Monthly Direct Debit ones.

After getting contradictory and seemingly inaccurate advice from two customer support agents via telecon, I am left with the impression that the only tariff that supports the continued use of Monthly Variable Direct Debit is the more expensive NextFlex tariff! This seems to be a kick in the teeth style punishment for merely wanting to pay what you owe. bearing in mind the cheapest new tariff you offer is a 10% price hike over my current one and the NextFlex tariff is close to 20% more expensive!

Is this correct or have I got it all completely wrong? If correct, what is the point of having a Smart meter if the readings aren't used to give you an accurate monthly bill?

Sorry about the length of this post but I needed to vent!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
    Alan.
    Last edited by Alan; 11-03-21 at 00:49.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    Hi All

As I understand it.....You will pay the standard Next Flex tariff which is the default tariff set by the government until 31st March 2022, and you will pay for what you use. I am unsure if you pay more for payment by direct debit or by monthly bill, but I presume direct debit is cheaper?

If you click here.......

Default tariff cap level: 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022

....then you can work out the default tariffs for your area (its not the same price throughout the UK).

If you select your local area from the Gas page and then divide the "Nil Kwh" £x by 365 you get the daily standing charge, and if you divide the m (12,000 kWh) £x value by 12000 you get the cost per Kwh.

Then do the same for electricity using the figures from the electricity page.

If you want to go the whole hog you can then use an .xl spreadsheet to work out what your bills will be from your meter readings

Does this make sense?

Regards

Mike
    Level 3
    Frustrating isn't it Alan waiting for a sensible reply.
    I am waiting for confirmation about a tariff question but it seems its being ignored for some reason.
    I get conflicting advice from advisers some times.
    Last edited by Silverfox; 12-03-21 at 06:16.