Speaking-Up for Smart Meters and IHDs

Level 91
    Whether or not to request having smart meters fitted is often a difficult decision. Those who are interested may search forums like this to get a flavour of other people's experiences. Many will post of various problems with their smart meters and IHDs and all are valid points that make folk wish they had never had them installed. It's perhaps advisable to bear in mind that people will be more inclined to post when they are unhappy than they would when they are happy with them. I thought I would share my positive view just to add some balance.

After a long time of being opposed to having these things almost forced on me I decided to take the plunge as I was confident only SMETS 2 meters would be fitted and I would be able to get a better tariff rate by having them. My meters were fitted a few years ago by my previous energy supplier and as far as I can recall were fully functional in days.

I have a Chameleon 3 IHD which sits in the utility room and provides me with as much data as I require. I also think it is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Name:  IMG_2970.jpg
Views: 12310
Size:  112.5 KB

On switching to Eon Next everything was fully functional within six weeks of switchover. Until then I just submitted manual meter readings when necessary. One minor problem is that when my tariff rates change I sometimes have to request that the IHD is updated to reflect this. This has been more of a nuisance of late but generally I will only switch to a new fixed rate once a year.

Some advantages of an IHD to me are:

1. I can read my meters easily without going outside.

2. I can scroll through consumption data for previous days, weeks and months.

3. The display shows 'Used So Far Today' in kWh and £££s. This has been useful as family members see how much energy actually costs and take steps to cut down a bit. A picture paints a thousand words, as they say.

4. There is a function to show current electricity consumption. Useful to see what appliances are heavy consumers.

5. I can use the Hildebrand Bright App on my phone to see consumption data down to half-hourly intervals going back about a year.

6. I can take part in the Energy Shift events and get a couple of pounds credited to my account for my efforts.

I understand that those without smart meters who are interested (and can be bothered) can monitor their usage from meter readings and statements and create spread sheets to keep things under control. I do this too but comparisons over several months of reducing my energy consumption have shown that the IHD is fairly accurate when compared to using readings on statements for making my calculations.

To conclude, smart meters and IHDs are not everyone's cup of tea. I have a standard dual fuel tariff with no Economy 7 or solar panels etc. I get the impression that these things add complications. I remain happy with my choice and to be honest, would miss my IHD if I didn't have it or if it packed up for any reason.

Maybe I've been lucky so far and my opinion will change if I start having problems but so far, so good.
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 05-06-23 at 18:51. Reason: featured thread
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 55
    Best Answer
    @JoeSoap

Pretty much sums up my experience of smart meters since I moved in to my present house that was already smarted (with SMETS 2). I feel very fortunate to have experienced none of the horror stories that circulate here and at other forums. Previous house was non-smart but I was already spreadsheeting then to monitor usage. My IHD enables me to a little more usage monitoring from the comfort of my PC and in detail that is easier to do.
    Level 91
    Of course, smart meters should work as advertised. Without any enforceable service standards I’ll continue to reject the offers from both my suppliers to have these meters fitted, and I’ll continue to draw attention to the appallingly low level of interest by suppliers in addressing the high level of “traditional mode” smart meters out there.

EDIT 24/4/23 Something in excess of 10% of smart meters operate in traditional mode i.e. dumb. I currently can't think of another product that has such a high failure rate, and if you get a dud then you're stuck with it. The point is made that these meters are free. The problem with that is that there is no contractual relationship to fall back on if they don't work as advertised.

My non smart meters cause me no trouble.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 24-04-23 at 16:49.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.