£300 bill when on a pay as you go meter? how and why?

Level 2
    i Dont own a smart meter, is this a way for them to scam money out of my partner? she tops up about £80 a month why are they saying her usage is over £250 each month and that she owes them £315... cant understand this can somebody please make light of it
    (also there has been no meter readings from either side)
    Last edited by Jjbee1; 02-03-23 at 16:52.
  • 12 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Jjbee1

Very odd because you should not be 'billed' anything as you top the meter up on the key. I'd be inclined to phone customer services in the morning and speak to them as it doesn't sound right to me. You can reach them on 0808 501 5200

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @Jjbee1

this sounds like a credit meter. Her payment is set on the basis of estimated consumption and current pricing. As prices go up so should the payment. If consumption is above what has been estimated then eventually she will get into arrears. It’s not unusual. The government energy price guarantee is set for the average customer at £2,500 per annum - over £200 per month. And winter consumption is higher than summer consumption. £80 per month is probably far too low a figure - although there is no actual data on consumption in your post - so that’s a bit of a guess.

getting some readings into her account would help to resolve this one way or the other.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 2
    but why is it only recent that she has gone into arrears if this has never happened before, she put money on the payg stick thing and pays what she uses then tops it back up every week so there is no direct debit and there shouldn't be an estimated consumption when she pays for what she uses.. I understand the price inflation and understanding around the situation however the 3 years that she has lived in the house with the same meter the same card the same payment for what she is using that it is only now they are trying to charge her £300.. its honesty absurd. (also never ever used emergencies)
    Level 92
    @Jjbee1

Where did the bill come from and on what basis has the bill been generated?

The supplier will want to know readings periodically, but any change in tariff that needs to be applied to the meter will be updated every time the payment key is inserted. If you've never used emergency credit, you should not have any arrears.

Level 2
    @retrotecchie

This is exactly what I am trying to find out, I understand they will want reading but they have not asked us for readings, the bill has come out of nowhere as we have never received any bill before this one but this bill is dating back to 9th of december 2022 to feb 2023 and it just does not make sense as previously stated she has lived in her flat for 3 years and not once has she been on any prepay meter or pay monthly meter...

about £75-£100 goes into the meter each month rougly about £1000-1250 a year so its very confusing on why they think we owe them double
    Last edited by Jjbee1; 02-03-23 at 17:57.
    Level 92
    @Jjbee1

Does the bill have a breakdown of how they've actually calculated it? Estimated readings or anything? Also, does it have a meter serial number on it which actually marries up with any numbers on your meter?

Level 2
    @retrotecchie

There are no meter serial numbers on the letter.
    and yeah it has a breakdown but it goes from 1st sep- 30th sep, 1st oct - 31st dec , 1st jan - 20th feb yet the bill says 9th dec - 22nd feb
    all of these are (estimated) but dont know why its being estimated if never been in emergencies, topped up every other week and not on a pay monthly
    Level 91
    @Jjbee1

from the additional information this sounds decidedly fishy. Either it’s a scam or a mistake.
    has the meter been changed recently? Prepayment meters could be replaced with new smart meters where the top up is done through the banking system rather than a the local shop. A proper bill should have account details on it. Can you post pictures (blank out personal details) of this bill - it would help a lot.
    Community Manager
    @Jjbee1 Welcome to the Community 👋 Anasa here, it all does sound a bit confusing! For one any bill should 100% have your meter details on there and should let you know if your reads have been estimated or not, is the bill actually addressed to your partner? Does it have their name on? Or is it addressed to the occupier? Could it have come to you in error? like a mix up of flats perhaps? 🤔 As mentioned above with something like this your partner will need to get in touch with us with their address and account details and we'll take it from there and have a look into the mystery for you.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣