Horrible customer service

Level 1
    I have been discussing my 2 issues with the customer service chaps at hi@eonnext since 23/1/23 (!). I have been communicating with a certain Zinedine.

After dozens of emails, incorrect advice and lots of wasted time I still have no idea what I need to do next.

My issues:

1) I have old gas and electricity meters and I want to move to the more modern smart meters.

2) I noticed that I have been billed double standing charges for many years, apparently they said that it’s because I have storage heaters - well, I don’t, I have a modern house with standard heating. They explained that in fact I have two meters, one for standard heating and one for Economy 7. I don’t have storage heaters. I moved in in 2013 and there were no storage heaters even then. I immediately requested Eon to remove the meters and to give me a simple new meter so that I don’t pay double standing charges anymore. As of today, 24/2/23, I still don’t know what I need to do to get these two issues sorted. They told me to contact the UK Power Network (done, they said that they don’t own my meters and that Eon gave me incorrect advice), they then told me to contact EDF (done, same story, the guys at EDF were nearly laughing).

I am very close to moving my business to Octopus.
  • 11 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hey @Manny76,

Thanks for taking the time to post. What this sounds like to me is that you have what we call a complex meter set up, where you have 2 MPANS connected to the same meter. This usually happens when you have one MPAN for your usual household usage like lights, TV & fridge etc and another which is usually connected to your heating. As you have mentioned you have 4 readings this is likely to be a day rate, night rate, weekend/evening rate then a further off peak rate that is (usually) for your heating or something similar to this set up.

If this is the case unfortunately we are currently unable to support these types of meters with smart at the moment. Things are constantly changing and it may be something we can do in future however as it stands I am unsure if this is something that we will be able to support without you making changes to your current set up.

If you would like me to take a look at your current set up please pop me a private message and I will be more than happy to check it out for you 😀
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 26-02-23 at 10:16. Reason: pressed send too early further info added.
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 91
    @Manny76

there was a system called total heating - in Scotland. This required the type of system you have. Previous owners may have changed the heating but not changed the metering. Only a couple of suppliers can adequately support this rather obsolete set up.

If both meters are recording consumption then removing one will leave you without power on some circuits. So your friendly local electrician would need to revise your wiring before getting the surplus meter removed, which perhaps is step one. Getting smart meter fitted could come later as step two.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn

Thanks. I live in Surrey, near London. The meter looks one piece to me, as in it is one box and it has 4 readings. The Eon customer service chap said that I have 2 meters but I am not 100% sure. The 4th reading, presumably linked to the storage heaters, hasn’t moved since I bought the house in 2013. The other 3 readings are for weekday, night and weekend.
    The meter is protected by an anti tamper old school seal.
    Level 91
    @Manny76
    OK I’ve not heard of that before but @retrotecchie or @theunknowntech can advise when they are around. In previous cases two standing charges actually means two physical meters but you have only one, so that is unusual.

I think it would help if you could post photos of your meter and fuse boxes so that better advice can be given.
    Level 91
    @Manny76

It might be that your meter supports this sort of tariff.

Three rate all-electric tariffs - SSE

Is it possible that three of the readings aggregate into the fourth?

And from your bills can you post the three top boxes from both of the supply numbers - it will help to identify matters a bit more. the supply number look like this:

Last edited by meldrewreborn; 24-02-23 at 16:04.
    Level 78
    I'd need to see photos of the meter(s) first before I can advise further.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @Manny76

it is highly probable that your internal setup will need to change because industry support for these types of metering solutions is ending.

therefore I think it is a case of you figuring out what your future tariff should be (single or two tier), making sure your internal wiring is configured to support that and then getting the meter changed accordingly.
    @Manny76 did you have an update? Is there anything we can support you with ?
    Level 1
    Sorry for the radio silence. I managed to get through to a certain Nick (customer support) around two weeks ago. I am waiting to hear back from him, he said that it’s a complex meter matter and require a bit more time.

Yes, I don’t have any need for two meters let alone a two tier set up. I have asked him to remove the whole lot and replace with a single and simple meter.