EON stealing my money!!!!!!!

Level 1
    So I recently had a fault with my prepayment gas meter and an engineer came out and installed a new meter and took away my old meter that had £50 credit on it. He said it would be an easy issue to sort out and yet here I am after emailing them with proof, messaging on WhatsApp with proof and on Facebook and on Twitter, im being completely ignored and unable to speak to anyone who can help. my next step tomorrow is the ombudsman but in the meantime I have no gas for heating or cooking as that was my monthly allowance that I had put on. HELP!!!!!!!!
  • 37 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Manager
    Best Answer
    @Sim2101 Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry that you've had some trouble with this, the engineer is right its a quick fix the money is yours and will be placed back onto your meter, it's just a case of getting hold of someone to be able to get this done for your as it's not been done automatically for you, we're not ignoring you I promise we're just really busy at the moment so it's taking us a bit of time to get to you, emergencies do take priority. The quickest way would be to get hold of us over the phone first thing in the morning and after 2pm seem like a better time to call through. With WhatsApp Twitter, you'll get a reply within 3-5 days if not sooner. 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 92
    @Sim2101

I can only suggest you telephone customer services at 9am on the dot when the waiting time is shortest.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 18
    So I recently had a fault with my prepayment gas meter and an engineer came out and installed a new meter and took away my old meter that had £50 credit on it. He said it would be an easy issue to sort out and yet here I am after emailing them with proof, messaging on WhatsApp with proof and on Facebook and on Twitter, im being completely ignored and unable to speak to anyone who can help. my next step tomorrow is the ombudsman but in the meantime I have no gas for heating or cooking as that was my monthly allowance that I had put on. HELP!!!!!!!!
    Is there any emergency credit on your replacement meter ?
    Level 1
    @Sim2101 Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry that you've had some trouble with this, the engineer is right its a quick fix the money is yours and will be placed back onto your meter, it's just a case of getting hold of someone to be able to get this done for your as it's not been done automatically for you, we're not ignoring you I promise we're just really busy at the moment so it's taking us a bit of time to get to you, emergencies do take priority. The quickest way would be to get hold of us over the phone first thing in the morning and after 2pm seem like a better time to call through. With WhatsApp Twitter, you'll get a reply within 3-5 days if not sooner. 😊

Im sorry but they obviously aren't as helpful as you as they keep telling me on the phone to wait for a reply and the WhatsApp messages were over 5 days ago?????? I really don't know what to do and its now impacting on my mental health!!!!!!!
    Level 6
    I have a similar issue. Having moved in to a flat on October, I find the prior tenant ran up debt on the gas meter. My first £25 disappeared. There is still have circa £60 debt showing.
    I have spoke to six agents since 28 Oct. All have great ways to wipe the debt and get my credit back but none work. The shop that issues the gas card is a 7-mile round trip.
    I have no heating at the flat. Frankly I find this inhumane. Nobody at EON seems to understand the issue, have a fix or even care. I mean, two weeks without heating in November!
    someone please HELP!
    Level 92
    @Lynnzal

Have you got an online account with Eon.next that shows your correct name, address and meter details? Did you take initial readings on both your electric and gas meter when you moved in? Who did you give those readings to, and how?

Debt from a previous customer belongs to them. Not to you, or your meter.

If you have proof of your moving in date, proof of your meter readings and your account is correctly set up with your initial moving in information, you shouldn't be in the position you are in.

Is the meter a Smart Pay As You Go, or a conventional meter?

Last edited by retrotecchie; 12-11-22 at 21:36.
    Level 6
    I have a PAYG meter. There was £60 of debt that swallowed by £25 and left me with nothing.
    WhatsApp agent number 6 has just responded (after 1.5 hours). They have given me another new code and said to get a new card. I was instructed to do exactly this today and it failed.
    I feel so desperate. The shop is not open until tomorrow and it’s a 7-mile round trip.
    i hope EON staff and management are nice and warm at home tonight. 😡
    Level 92
    @Lynnzal

ok, so when you moved in, you took readings on the meters and registered with Eon, yes? If so and provided meter readings, any outstanding debt on the meter should have been cancelled.

If you just took the card down to the shop and topped it up, no more than 30% of any top up is allowed to be taken to pay debt. Sure, not your debt, but even so. Anyway, by law, of your £25 top up, only £7.50 would have been taken against any debt, leaving you with £17.50 towards gas and the standing charges.

Presumably, having also registered your account with Eon.next (assuming you did) they then sent you a voucher for the first of six £66/67 government grants.

Again, if you topped up your meter using that, then only £19.80 would have been taken against the debt, leaving you with £46.20 worth of actual top up.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 12-11-22 at 22:35.
    Level 6
    EON did not ask for a meter reading for the PAYG gas meter. They just told me to get a card and issued me with a code number.
    I added £25 which was swallowed by someone else’s debt.