Smart meter? No thanks.

Level 1
    Having been originally with e.on, then switched to e.on next without warning just two months in (then being prevented switching to another supplier), I have been harrassed about fitting a flaming smart meter. Every month. Without fail. Despite my request it stop.

I have explained, via phone calls or emails (never responded to) that fitting a smart meter simply is not possible where I live. I live in a block of flats, built in 2014 with a new meter (so it cannot be obsolete, as per e.on letters, etc). The mobile coverage inside the building is virtually non-existant. The meters are not in the individual flats but in a cupboard in the centre of the building, with zero phone signal (2g, 3g or 4g).
    When I moved in the two neighbours who had smart meters both warned me not to bother getting one. Neither of theirs had worked from the day it was fitted and both still have to send readings every month. Their IHDs never worked. Their attempts to get engineers/electricians from their utility suppliers to get the smart meters working have resulted in nothing, with explanations that the building simply is not suitable, owing to the location of the original meters and the lack of phone signal.

Not every building can take smart meters. I do not want one, if it is never going to work and stops me switching supplier. How can I stop this constant pushing (letters, emails and texts)?
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy!

My name is theunknowntech, a mysterious forum volunteer who travels around the internet. I don't work for E.On myself so everything I write is my own opinions.

I can understand where you're coming from there. While solutions have recently been developed to fix signal issues in almost any kind of building - including blocks of flats - it's totally understandable that not everyone wants one. In actual fact, based on a 2014 meter install that would indicate to me that your meter has at least another three years service life left in it yet before it comes up for recertification, so it's nowhere near obsolete yet. On top of that, if there's absolutely no WAN coverage (and no Mesh capability) in your area, then this is technically an upgrade blocker and would prevent a Smart Meter being installed for any reason other than to merely replace an existing meter - but left to operate without Smart functionality.

SMETS2 meters also work fine with all suppliers and you no longer get locked out just because the meter isn't compatible - that one has been resolved. Likewise, the introduction of Dual-Band Communications Hubs is slowly becoming a thing, which are far more capable of getting meters working in large buildings than existing kit can manage. The downside is that these hubs have only just started to become available and they're not widely available yet, so it'll probably be a while before you can get one. More info about how it all works can also be found on https://smartme.co.uk which is one of the resources me and my friends make heavy use of.

If you'd still prefer to opt-out though, I'm not one to stand in your way. While I have a Smart Meter myself which is working great, I recognise there's valid reasons to hold back, so here's what you'll want to do. Simply contact customer service and request a Smart Meter Upgrade Opt-Out. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy, just as long as you notify E.On of your intentions. This should stop all marketing and promotions about getting an upgrade for the time being, but it may take a few weeks to process fully.

There are a few exceptions which allow suppliers to break through and override an opt-out, but the list is pretty small. Here's what I know:
    • Downgrade requests - sorry, but once you've been upgraded to a Smart Meter, there's usually no going back. Even if it was there from before you moved in. Some suppliers might be willing to downgrade at their discretion, but it's rare and would be at your own cost as it would be a Non-Standard Installation
    • Debt collection enforcement - this would only be used in extreme cases and most people would never get anywhere near this point
    • Switching between Credit and Prepayment - if the meter needs to be replaced for this purpose, it will almost certainly be a Smart Meter
    • Changing metering type (such as going onto Economy 7) - if the existing meter can't support the tariff, it will need to be replaced
    • Replacing a faulty meter - the replacement may be a Smart Meter, depending on what the engineer has with them
    • Recertification - like many things, electric and gas meters have a limited service life which expires when they're up for recertification. The replacement will almost certainly be a Smart Meter in this case

Other than that, suppliers are required to respect opt-out requests.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Thanks for the reply. I have let e.on know my requests several times, but they either never record them or ignore them, as their smart meter harassment continues (letter, text, email, despite my preference settings on my profile and my phoning them). After explaining several times, why a smart meter isn't suitable, I expect any reasonable company to leave the subject alone. But e.on? Nope, I had a letter just last week...
    Oh just for e.on: I am not on facebook or twitter. So don't bother with the cut'n'paste reply.
    Level 78
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Once you set an opt-out request, it's supposed to be honoured unless either one of the circumstances above is triggered, you switch supplier (this sort of thing doesn't transfer over) or you move out and someone else moves in. The opt-out is also terminated when the account is closed or if you later get the upgrade.

Would you be OK to post some photos of your existing meter here for a sec? I want to see what you've got as I can then confirm for sure that it's not end of service life yet.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm also going to take advantage of my forum permissions to tag this thread for moderator attention. If you'd like me to remove the tag, please let me know.
    Hey there, Beki here! 👋

I have found your account and have requested a long-term opt out which will mean that you should get no more requests for a smart meter fitting. I believe the options that was previously selected was 'Not interested at the moment, ask again later' - which would explain the further communications.

Any issues, give me a message and I'll look into it 😎
    Level 1
    @Freeminder
    we had a smart meter installed 2 months ago but, after installation, the Tech said there was no signal. The meter is 8 ft up in a cupboard and can only be read by standing on steps whereas the old analogue meter was readable from the floor. I complained but have had no answer.
    BrunoB