IHD replacement

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hello.

i moved into my house in Jan 2020, and have only today been told by eon next that I already have smart meters. I was not left the IHD.

i then asked if I could get a replacement IHD, happy to pay too, to then be told they will not send me out one, even tho they would replace a broken one if under 12 months old, but as I don’t have one they will not send me one.

to then be told I can buy a universal one off amazon, but it will only display electric. So… they are happy to take £138 currently a month off me, then going up to god knows what… but won’t send me out a IHD even tho I have said I will pay for it.
  • 33 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hey there!

I'm theunknowntech, a forum volunteer who helps out on here. I don't work for E.On but I do know quite a lot.

Oh no! Did some evil genius run off with the IHD? Oops... Well, it won't work for them anyway so they've probably disposed of it.

As far as I'm aware, the options to get a new IHD partially depend on what Smart Meters you have, please could you post some photos and I'll be able to adapt my advice. Unfortunately, you actually can't buy IHDs on random websites like Amazon or eBay - almost all of these are either fake, pre-owned (and probably locked down) or not an IHD at all. Currently, pretty much the only place you can actually get a legitimate one is via your energy supplier. I've heard of one or two potential future options to get a replacement elsewhere, but until I've had time to assess them with help from my friend Blastoise186, I'm not ready to make any recommendations right now.

You should normally be eligible for at least one IHD for free, even if it's been a while since the meters were installed. In cases where the previous householder ran off with the existing one, this definitely qualifies you to have a replacement sent out in the post for free, since it counts as your first one. If you have older SMETS1 meters though, the availability of S1 compatible IHDs is a bit limited right now and they're not as easy to get hold of compared to the availability of S2 IHDs. I'll be happy to identify the meters for you though if that helps.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
  • Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Jsingh123

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ull=1#post6726

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 29
    Hello.

i moved into my house in Jan 2020, and have only today been told by eon next that I already have smart meters. I was not left the IHD.

i then asked if I could get a replacement IHD, happy to pay too, to then be told they will not send me out one, even tho they would replace a broken one if under 12 months old, but as I don’t have one they will not send me one.

to then be told I can buy a universal one off amazon, but it will only display electric. So… they are happy to take £138 currently a month off me, then going up to god knows what… but won’t send me out a IHD even tho I have said I will pay for it.
    Refer to my post on Refund-Credit-fobbed-of-by-Eon
    Heya, Beki here 👋

I have sent an email over to the smart metering team to see if there if we can get one sent out with an engineer - it will need to be synced to your meters. I'll let you know when they reply. 😎
    Level 1
    Good luck, I asked for the same when I moved into my property last month but was told I had to buy my own
    @Suem We have had some advice on here from @theunknowntech who says that buying your own isn't worthwhile and probably won't work - well, at least for the gas anyway. Did you want to pop me a message and I can send a request off to see if we can get an engineer to bring one out? 😊
    Level 78
    If you don't mind setting it up yourself, it may also be possible to have an IHD sent out in the post and for you to set it up with help from customer service. It only usually takes a few minutes to pair plus the initial charging time to give the battery a full recharge before first use (usually only a few hours or so).

If an engineer comes round, they'd need to use the special installer smartphone app from DCC since there's no way to access the Comms Hub locally for security reasons. However, by the time the engineer hands the device over, it'll usually be paired and in the process of downloading the initial config, or be fully ready to go.

If you need help with it, feel free to ask.
    Level 2
    You may of resolved this by now but I’ll mention this as it may help others.

We moved in to a rented flat with no IHD (previous tenant must have taken it as we checked with our letting agent and landlord).I spoke with Eon Next on FB messenger chat who instantly advised you can purchase one here for around £50. It allows you to check your post code to see if compatible.

I agree it should be a free replacement or a small fee to replace.

https://ivie.co.uk/eonnext/.

Eon Next email, and call centre we’re useless and advised Amazon and eBay, I’ve been searching for days and agree with the above thread which mentions the IHD Will have been plugged in previously and still contain data, will not be compatible with your metre or won’t work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 2
    @Suem We have had some advice on here from @theunknowntech who says that buying your own isn't worthwhile and probably won't work - well, at least for the gas anyway. Did you want to pop me a message and I can send a request off to see if we can get an engineer to bring one out? 😊

Hi Beki,
    Is it possible to get it replaced? We have been here for only a few months but the account may be over a year old?

thanks