Government to spend £25 million to tell us to use less energy

I've just read in Evening Standard online the government are considering spending £25million to tell us to use less energy, and how to do so. Do these clowns not realise that most of us are already using less energy because of the sky-high prices, and are intelligent enough to know how to reduce our energy consumption! People like Martin Lewis money-saving expert and energy companies have already given such advice. The £25 million could be put to much better use, such as going towards lowering the price cap!
  • 16 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Tommysgirl

With 22 million domestic energy customers in the UK, that £25 million would just over a quid each. To us ordinary folks in the street, it sounds like a lot of money, but it isn't in situations where the Government deal in billions!

I'm paranoid enough about my energy use that I don't need the Gumment to teach this granny how to suck eggs. Give the money to a food bank, or put it in the pot for nurses pay, or something, I say.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 24-11-22 at 12:35.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    @Tommysgirl

With 22 million domestic energy customers in the UK, that £25 million would just over a quid each. To us ordinary folks in the street, it sounds like a lot of money, but it isn't in situations where the Government deal in billions!

I'm paranoid enough about my energy use that I don't need the Gumment to teach this granny how to suck eggs. Give the money to a food bank, or put it in the pot for nurses pay, or something, I say.
    Exactly! It may not scratch the surface regarding energy prices, but could definitely help the NHS or foodbanks, rather than being wasted sending out leaflets etc containing information people are already well aware of!🤡👨‍⚕️👩‍⚕️🍞
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

Not to mention the number of trees needed to print the things in the first place...
    @retrotecchie
    And we also mustn't forget the extra electricity which will be needed in printing them!
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

And them not being delivered in a timely manner 'cos the Posties are striking...
    @retrotecchie
    No doubt they will also have paid a team of so-called "experts" some huge fees to tell them what to advise us, stuff we already know. The "experts" will possibly be from the same group who said MPs could claim for Christmas decorations etc on expenses at the tax-payers expense. Aww they decided against claiming for decorations etc but fear not, they'll be able to make paper chains and decorations from the leaflets which don't get delivered because of the Posties strikes.
    Level 55
    Let us not also forget that HMG were slammed for not going forward with a public information campaign a few months ago. Most if not all of the information is readily available on loads of websites and TV. Presumably this new campaign will be a 'door-to-door' leaflet that most posties just love - worse would be an adressed item because you'd have to sort them into the sorting frames (I speak from experience now happily retired). May or may do any good if this goes ahead.
    Last edited by Mailman; 24-11-22 at 22:30.
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie
    No doubt they will also have paid a team of so-called "experts" some huge fees to tell them what to advise us

Or they could have came here and got a load of energy saving waffle from me for nowt!
    Level 92
    @Mailman

Now why did I have a sneaking suspicion you might have had a little 'inside knowledge' into these things? 👍✉📦📪