What are my Economy 7 Times?

Level 91
    What are my Economy 7 times?

Name:  paint supply number.png
Views: 11692
Size:  70.3 KB
    So how do you identify the times that your Economy 7 reduced rate period operates? First, you look in your electricity statement, and at the top of page 2 is an image, like something that is shown above – this is the supply number particular to your address and your meter. While in this example, the first figure on the top line next to the big S is 00, if you are on economy 7 or economy 10 this should be 2 or 02 meaning “Economy meter of two or more rates”

The middle box of the top row shows your 3 digit Meter Time Switch Code (MTSC). Note this number – you’ll need it later.

The lower line of your supply number, spread over 3 boxes, is your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) which total 13 digits and is unique to your address. The first two characters of your MPAN identify the electricity distributor code – there are 14 distributors in all.. The table below gives the base information of the reduced rate time periods.

Name:  paint distributor codes 2.png
Views: 10812
Size:  140.6 KB

Then we have to consider the issue of GMT/BST. So refer to the table below with your Meter Time Switch Code (you did note this down didn’t you?)
    Name:  paint MTSC latest.png
Views: 11243
Size:  383.0 KB
    So you should be able to confirm the Economy 7 timings for your own meter. Note though that the timings relate to the time as recorded by your meter. This can vary from the correct time. You will need to check your meter for accuracy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 11-05-22 at 07:31.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 40 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @LegalMagpie

Chances are your smart gas meter isn't communicating which is why they requested a reading. You're not the only one...gas meters seem to drop off the radar all the time.

To answer your E7 question, 'near Birmingham' could put you in one of several time patterns.

Can you access your account on line, look at a full download bill, or even look at your meter itself and look at the middle group of 3 digits from your meter reference top row(time switching code), plus the First two digits from your bottom row (supplier code, or Region code)
    You need the information that looks like this

Name:  download.png
Views: 7748
Size:  6.2 KB

Your meter will have 02 probably as the first two digits, indicating an E7 dual rate meter. The next three digits indicates the time switching code, 234 in the example I've shown. Yours should start with an 8.

The 89 in the bottom row will be your supplier/region code, probably 14 in your case. The combination of those digits will identify your hours, whether they are meter time or clock time and if you need to allow for GMT/BST changes or not.

Armed with that information, you should be able to figure out your timings:

Code Time
    500 Single rate
    501 Single rate
    801 Single rate
    802 Single rate
    803 Cheap: 23:30 – 06:30 clock time
    804 Cheap: 23:30 – 06:30 clock time
    805 Cheap: 23:30 – 06:30 GMT
    806 Cheap: 23:30 – 06:300 GMT
    807 Cheap: Midnight – 0700 GMT
    808 Cheap: Midnight – 0700 GMT
    809 Cheap: Midnight – 0700 GMT
    810 Cheap: Midnight – 0700 GMT
    811 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 GMT
    812 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 GMT
    813 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 clock time
    814 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 GMT
    815 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 GMT
    816 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 clock time
    817 Cheap: 00:30 – 07:30 clock time
    830 Cheap: 01:00 – 08:00 clock time
    831 Cheap: 01:00 – 08:00 clock time
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 12-11-22 at 02:41.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 43
    @meldrewreborn Thanks for the explanation. I knew when my Economy 7 times were but when I was moved from nPower to eon-next towards the end of 2020 I thought I'd confirm the times with eon-next. No-one could tell me which astounded me to be honest, it took a complaint to get the E7 hours from them.
    I could have watched the meter for an hour or two (that was one suggestion from eon-next) but I don't see why I should. Being cynical, I assumed their reluctance was because it was in their interests not to.

Why on earth the hours aren't printed on the bill is beyond me.
    Community Team
    What are my Economy 7 times?

Name:  paint supply number.png
Views: 11692
Size:  70.3 KB
    So how do you identify the times that your Economy 7 reduced rate period operates? First, you look in your electricity statement, and at the top of page 2 is an image, like something that is shown above – this is the supply number particular to your address and your meter. While in this example, the first figure on the top line next to the big S is 00, if you are on economy 7 or economy 10 this should be 2 or 02 meaning “Economy meter of two or more rates”

The middle box of the top row shows your 3 digit Meter Time Switch Code (MTSC). Note this number – you’ll need it later.

The lower line of your supply number, spread over 3 boxes, is your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) which total 13 digits and is unique to your address. The first two characters of your MPAN identify the electricity distributor code – there are 14 distributors in all.. The table below gives the base information of the reduced rate time periods.

Name:  paint distributor codes 2.png
Views: 10812
Size:  140.6 KB

Then we have to consider the issue of GMT/BST. So refer to the table below with your Meter Time Switch Code (you did note this down didn’t you?)
    Name:  paint MTSC latest.png
Views: 11243
Size:  383.0 KB
    So you should be able to confirm the Economy 7 timings for your own meter. Note though that the timings relate to the time as recorded by your meter. This can vary from the correct time. You will need to check your meter for accuracy.

This is a great guide @meldrewreborn! Thank you! 💪 You rock ✌
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 91
    @Han_EONNext

Can it be made a sticky, along with the Economy 10 post. It'll then be easier to point people to it and save us volunteers time answering the eternal question "what are my economy times"
    Level 43
    I've started using the Bright app and that does give my Economy 7 hours, however I still need to check the MTSC table to determine whether it's GMT or Clock Time.
    As far as I can tell though it does negate having to look up the distributor code.
    Level 5
    Apologies for late reply but am still trying to get a straight answer to a seemingly very simple question. Have been unable to get a reply from Eon to emails and the phone line is too infuriating to endure for long. I’ve had to take a deep breath and tackle this again before losing the will to live.

Thanks to Meldrewreborn for trying to help but I’m still as confused as ever. Firstly my two digit number is 04 not 00 or 02. My area is 12 so that means London but I’m struggling to see where the 111 corresponds to anything in the table you referred to?

Why can’t this information be included on my bill? Also at no point do I see anything referring to Economy 7 or Economy 10 on my bill. It’s always referred to as Night and Off-peak.

Thanks in advance if there’s anyone who has a straight answer to this.
    Level 5
    @steverwilliams Hi, did you get anywhere with this? I’m in the same boat. I’m on Nextflex with day and night rate on a smets2 meter. I’ve no idea how economy 7 or economy 10 relates to the night rate. Also, are there different times for weekends? Why on earth is it so confusing. Using the guide above I think I come under ‘All other’ and night rate is 00.00 - 07.00 but I’m not sure. I e sent for the Ivie Bud in the hope it will shed some light. Just wondered if you’d managed to get any clarity on it all.
    Level 91
    Your supply is I think a business supply if you can post the data in the top three boxes of your supply number then it’s possible we might have enough to help you
    Level 91
    @Janette
    @steverwilliams is a different case because he is not covered by my guide. But you are!