Off Peak

Level 78
    They are built in on just about all smart meters, as per the SMETS specifications. Some models like the Aclara SGM1416-B are also capable of doing magic tricks with storage heaters, to ensure they get switched on and off at the right times. The Landis+Gyr E470 however, lacks this functionality and is merely capable of flipping the rates on a schedule. Likewise, not all suppliers recognise that SMETS Commands exist to program said schedule. I've seen way too many cases of that failure.

It's ultimately down to what the supplier installs more than anything else. And let's just say... Some of them are more flexible than others...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Thanks for the info and also the explanation, it's appreciated. It seems it's not an industry standard practice then across the board, some differ from others as you have eluded to.

The reason I'm looking into sorting the economy 7 is as I mentioned before, so I can have the immersion heater on for a few hours in the morning for the shower, and also to use for the dishwasher and washing machine. Using those machines on normal programs three or four times a week, then the hot water tank can come to a pretty penny, so if it can be done on an off-peak rate then it saves substantial amounts of money. Which in this day and age we all have to look at now.

But that then seems to be put against the different tariffs because from what I have tried to look at it's not always the best option because the economy 7 may be cheaper, but then you get a hammering from the price for the day units, so sometimes you gain absolutely nothing. Which means we have to look at a plethora of different tariffs to try and work out what's best.

Without wishing to sound rude, you can see why people become fed up and confused, it seems none of this is easy.

What I'll do when I get home if it helps us all is take a few pics and then pop them on here for you to see what the system is, and how bad the display is to try and read.

Thanks again for the help.

PS I really do think a live chat service from Eon would be useful, the phone lines are hard to get through on.

The Beatings will continue until Morale improves . . . .

Level 91
    @Stevie010

you seek simplicity but when it comes to energy tariffs it’s always been complicated since competition was brought in. But many people couldn’t deal with the complexity and never switched nor utilised fixed tariffs. The old phrase about taking a horse to water and not being able to get it to drink comes to mind. So many people seem unable to evaluate things for themselves and want others to take decisions for them. Perhaps Councils should run classes to help people take financial decisions.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @Stevie010

So many people seem unable to evaluate things for themselves and want others to take decisions for them. Perhaps Councils should run classes to help people take financial decisions.

Wow. That seemed a tad harsh. The point I was trying to make was not one of laziness or expecting of others to do something for me, but was merely one of how the mind rejects all the work after a certain amount of time looking through various suppliers web sites where everything seems to be so different and yet so similar that after a while everything just blends in to one.

Just when you think you have found a pretty good tariff, you realise the standing charges aren higher than everyone elses, and then to top it off there are heavy exit fees etc. So in my case it's not simply that I can't be bothered to put the leg work in and simply expect others to do it for me, it's just such a mine field thats all, and lets be honest here, it can be pretty boring after a while too.
    Last edited by Stevie010; 05-05-22 at 05:12. Reason: Clarity
    Level 1
    Here are some pics of the meter equipment in case it helps in any way. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stevie010; 05-05-22 at 05:20.
    Level 91
    @Stevie010

Harsh. Maybe. True? Absolutely. The fraction of the population that have never switched is in my view very high - and the people most in that category are probably the people who need competitive pricing the most. And those on prepayment pay the most of all. Sometimes there is no certainty in a Selecting a tariff. We’re in one of those periods now.
    Level 78
    Ahhhhh ok I see your problem. That's an S1 meter which doesn't really help much either.

Thanks to some old documentation from SSE, I can pull up the datasheet for this meter very easily. Here it is: https://sse.co.uk/v3/assets/blt09078...ase-manual.pdf

This datasheet confirms the AS300P is capable of doing Economy 7/10 tariffs via the ToU functionality. The snag is that yours was installed by Scottish Power and this model is still in the migration process if memory serves. You could be waiting a while...
    Level 1
    You could be waiting a while...

Can I ask please would there be any point in me calling Eon and asking about being put on to a E7 tariff, or at least looking at it? When you stated "this model is still in the migration process" What does that mean please?

Man y thanks.
    Level 78
    As far as I'm aware, your meter might not be in DCC yet. https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/ should tell you more though.

If the meter isn't already in Economy 7 mode and isn't on DCC, you won't be able to get it into E7 mode right now.
    Level 1
    As far as I'm aware, your meter might not be in DCC yet. https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/ should tell you more though.

If the meter isn't already in Economy 7 mode and isn't on DCC, you won't be able to get it into E7 mode right now.

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I haven't had an actual statement yet and checking my on-line account doesn't show this MPAN number either. I have tried calling Eon on the phone, but I seem to get cut off after a certain amount of time when it's ringing, and by the time I have finished work their lines are closed.

This is one of the reasons why I think an on-line chat would be better, we could log in and start a chat and hear a sound when someone joins, that way we can carry on with things whilst waiting.