Direct Debit Hike

Level 1
    Eon next have changed my direct debit from £113 per month to £232. This cannot be right there is just me and my wife at home we are at work monday to Friday. We are all electric but still this increase seems excessive and one we cant afford. Eon Next have just changed my smart meter because they said it was faulty does that mean that possibly my readings were incorrect because now with a new smart meter and IHD I dont seem to be using anywhere near he same amount of electric. I have emailed eon next and messeged on messenger and am trying to call them to explain my plight but I have had no replies and have been on hold on the phone for 40 minutes. Any suggestion on any other ways to deal with this issue would be appreciated
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    If your meter was faulty it could mean you have been overcharged in the past. The supplier has to do some sums and repay you an assessment of the overpayment.

Prices of energy have increased markedly over past 7 months (my own bills have nearly tripled) and the increase in your DD is predictable - assuming that the basis of the calculation that is your forecast consumption - is correct.

Clearly your situation is complicated but once you have checked your consumption over say a week by looking at the readings direct on the meter, you will be in a much stronger position to contest your DD and to get a refund on over billing in the past.
  • Best Answer

Level 43
    Best Answer
    @Archie1962

My payments have gone from £42 per. month to £171.43. I have tried to reduce the payment to £100 but am told that I cannot reduce my payments to less than £154 so that I do not find myself unable to pay.

I think a customer can only reduce their payment by 10% @anna567 which is what has happened with you going from £171 down to £154.

It's important that customers look at more than their monthly payment because there's far more to it. It depends on whether you're in debit/credit and when your last annual review was, have you used significantly more or less over the last year, changing tariffs etc. Then there's the huge increase in the standing charge, thanks to OFGEM, to cover the credit customers had when the 30 odd energy suppliers went out of business.
    Level 1
    @Archie1962

hello Archie1962.
    im new to forums so please bear with me. I have found exactly the same thing. My payments have gone from £140 to 230. I have no idea why it’s that high as there is only me. I’ve emailed and they came back in 10 minutes with a few questions but no answers yet. I can’t even find a phone number.
    Level 1
    @Archie1962

My payments have gone from £42 per. month to £171.43. I have tried to reduce the payment to £100 but am told that I cannot reduce my payments to less than £154 so that I do not find myself unable to pay.
    Level 1
    @Archie1962 Thank you for that, that is really helpful. Just to add to this I am £385 in credit, so I do feel that the monthly payment is needlessly excessive and I am more than capable of budgeting myself. Eon is budgeting for Eon.
    Level 91
    A Direct Debit is supposed to help customers, by giving them a regular amount to pay each month that over time covers their energy bills. Because it’s based on estimates it will always to some extent be wrong.
    So how to get the direct debit as accurate as possible?
    Start with your consumption. Past data is in most people’s bills. Then multiply the consumption for 12 months times current prices – also on your bills. Add in any arrears on your account, or deduct credit balance. Add 30% to cover likely increase in October 2022, when the price cap is reviewed (increased) again. Divide resultant figure by 12 to get an indication of a reasonable monthly direct debit.
    If substantially different from that being proposed by Eon Next, then contact customer services to argue the point. Under their operating licence from OFGEM they are required to set Direct Debits at a reasonable level. Failure to do so is a breach of their licence.
    The past level of a Direct Debit is totally irrelevant in this matter. The past is gone – forget it – and was the past level correct in any case?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.