Gas smart readings not being taken

Level 1
    I've been with eonnext for around 3 months, having moved from another supplier where I already had a smart meter. I never had any issues with the smart meter before and eonnext have taken my electricity readings from the beginning via the meter but they have never taken a gas reading. For over 2 months my IHD didn't show gas usage although it is doing so now, but gas meter readings are still not being sent. Any ideas, anyone?
  • 10 Replies

Level 78
    Hiya!

I'm theunknowntech, evil genius and forum volunteer, at your service.

I think I have some theories on this one, but I'd need to know what make and model all your Smart Meters and In-Home Display are, as the answer varies based on that. Could you snap some photos and post them in your next reply please?

In the meantime, here's some general advice. If the meters are SMETS2, then as long as the connection to the old supplier is stable, they should reconnect to your new supplier within six weeks of transfer. If it takes longer than that, something might not be working and would need to be investigated further.

If the meters are SMETS1 however... It's a bit more complicated. There's only certain combinations of meter and supplier that will still work by default when you switch, although they're all being slowly upgraded and migrated to DCC in order to enable them to work globally across all suppliers.

Once I've seen what you've got, I can work out the next steps from there for you.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Many thanks for the quick reply. As far as I know the meters are SMETS2. See photos below. The meters were fitted in May 2019 when I was with Bulb, and when I later switched to Pure Planet they both worked immediately with no problems until I switched to eonnext last October, well over 6 weeks ago.

Name:  20220103_151845.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  20220103_152837.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  20220103_152806.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  26.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 78
    Perfecto, thanks!

Yup, you've got SMETS2 there. Although I genuinely don't understand why some suppliers still issue the older Chameleon IHD3 for S2 sites, when the newer Chameleon IHD6 is a lot more appropriate for S2 and fixes a ton of design flaws from the IHD3. However, you have my arch nemesis - Landis+Gyr meters. The Landis+Gyr E470 and Landis+Gyr G470 are far from my personal preference if I was able to choose what I wanted to have installed.

It seems to me as if the gas meter is communicating on the Home Area Network just fine, but if you could check those five LEDs on your Comms Hub above the electric meter, do the ones for SW, WAN, HAN and GAS pulse together every five seconds? If they do, that's a good sign everything is working. If any of them are differing, please let me know as that could indicate a fault.

It's also possible that the gas meter is just temporarily pausing sending meter readings. However, the Comms Hub has a Gas Proxy which should be storing and caching the meter readings it receives from the gas meter. If memory serves, you might be able to test this by having customer service attempt to issue the SMETS Commands to pull Instantaneous On-Demand Meter Readings for both meters. If that gets a result, you should be fine. The gas meter will hopefully sort itself out eventually, so I'd suggest giving it a few more weeks.
    Level 1
    It seems to me as if the gas meter is communicating on the Home Area Network just fine, but if you could check those five LEDs on your Comms Hub above the electric meter, do the ones for SW, WAN, HAN and GAS pulse together every five seconds?

Yes, all four flash green every few seconds. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more weeks! Many thanks for your help anyway 🙂
    Level 1
    Having the same Issue in that no gas readings have been sent since 01/10/21. Only noticed by accident as I don't normally check online. Was transferred from NPower to Eon next. Had to do a manual meter reading for the gas. Is this an Eon Next Issue? I don't normally have my IHD connected. As being a tight northerner I believe its an unnecessary waste of electric.
    @Westy Hey there, Beki here! I have had a look into your account and I can't see any issues apart from I can't poll a reading. Would you be able to have a look at your meters and you should see a smaller white box with some (hopefully flashing lights) they should be WAN, HAN, and PWR - If you could let me know what these lights are doing, we can then go from there. 😊
    Level 1
    4 weeks on from when I last posted, and still no smart gas reading has been taken since I started, despite 4 electricity smart readings being taken during the same period. I emailed customer services at hi@eonnext.com a month ago and had no response, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
    Level 78
    Still no luck huh? I think I know the most likely issue then. @Anasa_EONNext could you check the read schedule?
    Community Manager
    Hey! happy to check the read schedule @Blackbat when you have a moment if you could send me a direct message with your account details I'll have a look for you 😊