Direct debit price

Level 1
    I received an email yesterday saying my DD will be increased. I am in credit and don't know why of that increase. How can you increase the DD without the consent of the account holder.
    It's the second time you've done this. When I was on a 1 year fixed, it was increased without my consent.
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Manager
    Best Answer
    @Philippe Thank you for joining the community. Anasa here 👋 one of the community Co - ordinators.

I'm sorry for any confusion with your Direct Debit. As a Direct Debit customer we review your account annually at this time if you're in credit we automatically refund this back to you and then we re set your payments again based on previous usage and what you're expected to use. Your annual review is normally in April/May.

As you know all prices have increased so everyone's Direct Debit will be more than what they have paid previously and any credit built up at the time of your annual review will be refunded back to you so won't be taken into consideration for the next 12 months payments.

We also review your Direct Debit after each bill to make sure that your payments are enough to cover your usage, if your payments leave you with a balance owing we'll let you know your payments need to increase, we'll let you know the amount and the date the increase will take place, at that point if you feel this is not right or a change in circumstances you can get in touch and we'll have a conversation or you can make a one off payment to clear any balance owing.

A fixed price plan does not mean a fixed monthly payment and this will can change depending on your usage, as well as us reviewing your account you can keep an eye on your payments and also and let us know if anything changes like you'll be using less energy as you're going away or used more as more family members are in your property so you also have control over your payments.

I hope that this has helped you understand how your Direct Debit works but if you do need to discuss anything a bit more specific please get in touch via email. twitter. Facebook or phone whichever is easier for you 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    @Philippe

The DD has to be fair and reasonable. It represents the estimated cost of your energy over the next 12 months divided into regular payments - this helps many people with budgeting.

However, usage will nearly always turn out to be different from that forecast. In my own case my electricity consumption is fairly stable, but my gas consumption varies considerably from year to year largely due to the weather. When usage varies from the forecast then you will end up owing money or be in credit.

With prices rising (an average of 54% this April) most people will find their DD going up. You need to do your own calculations , particularly on the forecast of consumption if you wish to challenge the DD amount.

And at the end of the time period if you DD was set too high you will get that excess back. You still pay just for the energy you've actually used!
    Level 29
    As a Direct Debit customer we review your account annually at this time if you're in credit we automatically refund this back to you and then we re set your payments again based on previous usage and what you're expected to use. Your annual review is normally in April/May.
    Hi there Anasa
    May I ask the following 2 questions as follows:

1. What is the threashold for a given amount of account credit e.g. would the sum of £38 qualify for an automatic refund and
    2. When would I receive an automatic refund after my annual review for April/May 2022

Eon Next Customer

Community Manager
    @Landmark Hi there! 👋 There is no threshold amount for a refund so £38 would qualify for a refund! Its automatic for any amount of credit, your account needs to be at a 0 balance at the time of your annual review, we'll recalculate your usage for the next 12 months, we'll send you a letter/email to let you know that you will be getting a refund and what your new Direct Debit will be.

You can also ring us or contact us any time to review your payments if you feel you're building up too much credit or your usage will change due to your circumstances or if you need to increase your payments but annually any credit will be refunded back to you for all our Direct Debit customers, Annual review are are April/May 😊
    Community Manager
    @Landmark Hi there! 👋 There is no threshold amount for a refund so £38 would qualify for a refund! Its automatic for any amount of credit, your account needs to be at a 0 balance at the time of your annual review, we'll recalculate your usage for the next 12 months, we'll send you a letter/email to let you know that you will be getting a refund and what your new Direct Debit will be.

You can also ring us or contact us any time to review your payments if you feel you're building up too much credit or your usage will change due to your circumstances or if you need to increase your payments but annually any credit will be refunded back to you for all our Direct Debit customers, Annual review are are April/May 😊