Price Cap Q&A

@UKDave51 Great ideas there! I read somewhere also, that you can pre soak your pasta/rice overnight so it takes less time to boil the next day! 🙌
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech
    Hi thank you for offering to help. I finally managed to get through to a someone that could help. He talked me through how to get a reading of my meters as both of mine have a little keyboard of numbers you can press which I have never dealt with before .....have to be quick though to get them though lol But I did manage and things have been sorted out now in regards to them having my most up to date readings.
    But many thanks for offering that was kind of you .
    Level 78
    No worries @Justme22 :)

That sounds to me as if you've got SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters, as no-other meter brand has a numeric keypad. If you have trouble again, feel free to stop by here and I'll be around.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 29
    I`ve used 33 kWh in 12 days just by making basic things like not turning on the tv in the mornings or if i go out it doesn`t go on till late afternoon. filling the kettle by just enough to make a single hot drink, and using the smaller hobs on the cooker, i have also purchased a portable oven that does the same job but uses far less electricity.
    Yea, same here. We got a Samsung combination oven (microwave combined with fan and grill all in one oven) to save on using as much gas on our gas oven/grill/stove.
    Therefore, when one cannot afford replacing ones gas boiler with heat pump, at least electrify the cooking; next plan is to get an induction hob.

Eon Next Customer

Level 91
    @Landmark

But you've spent money on a new bit of kit that probably consumes just as many kWh as your gas oven does. Remember Gas is at least just 25% of the price of electricity , so where is the saving in this?

Electricity is very expensive, Gas is relatively cheap.

Induction hobs may be more efficient -assume half the energy, but as gas is a quarter the price Gas is still more economic. Which? says much the same about ovens.

Gas Cookers Vs Electric Cookers - Which?

These sorts of decision need thorough thinking through.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 16-04-22 at 17:10. Reason: add more detail
    Level 29
    @meldrewreborn

Apologies that I didn't point out why I am trying to electrify my energy usage away from using gas for my energy requirements.

Your point of saving money is not my objective here.

My objective is to go green and not money green🤑 or nauseated green🤢 or alien green👽 but ecological green🌲 electricity⚡
    Level 91
    @Landmark

That's very noble of you.

I'd like to think that way, but the UK is doing much more than most to cut its emissions when others are dragging their heels. So my emphasis on costs to me rather than adopting more expensive types of energy. So I've cavity wall insulation (since 1978!), full loft insulation, Solar thermal panels, double glazing and I drive a hybrid car. I'm doing my bit - but fully acknowledge that there is more to do.
    Level 1
    Hi, my fixed contract ends on 5th May. If I don’t select a tariff will I automatically go on the variable one which is subject to the price cap? Currently pay 100 a month (this suits us and is billed up to date with regular readings), if I select a fixed one it is around 230+ whereas the flex plan is 166 a month. Just wondering what the best option is, am I best selecting the flex plan or just letting it automatically change to it?
    Level 1
    My fixed tariff ended a couple of days ago and I now have an 81% increase in my energy bill, with no options for cheaper deals. Fixing my price based on the quotes your website states for me would cost me even more.

I bet your shareholders are rubbing their hands with glee.

You have NO energy saving tips for houses that use warm air systems like mine. I can't drop £10K+ changing my heating system. My house had the loft insulation improved back in 2014, and I was supposed to have the cavity walls done, but due to previous owners at some point having a half-baked job of insulation done using materials that are no longer used (and not chemically compatible with modern materials), I couldn't have this done. All of the other tips I've followed as best I can within the constraints of my household budget.

I suppose I just have to brace myself (and my family) for the financial shafting that is on it's way at the end of May, along with the usual excuses of global gas prices and bowing down to the eco-fanatics who glue themselves to the roads.
    Level 43
    Hi @Dannicritch

The standard variable cap is due to be reviewed again around October I think and the consensus seems to be that it will be raised significantly again.
    If it were me I would stay on the standard variable, you'll be £66 a month better off until the cap is raised again and I'm not sure that it will increase enough to wipe out what you would have paid on the £230 fixed deal.

It's a gamble whatever you do to be honest.