Smart meters and Feed in Tariffs - any good?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Has anyone moved to a smart meter where they also have solar panels and a Feed in tariff? It seems that currently the feed in tariff deemed export is estimated by Eon at a rate of 50% but applying a meter would alter this to actual amount of energy exported to the grid. Do you find that the export is higher or lower than the estimated rate? It seems there would be no point in moving over to a smart meter if we're going to be worse off. I understand that it will depend on a number of factors such as your generation capacity, number of panels, energy usage but roughly, is it worth it?
  • 3 Replies

Level 78
    I'm afraid Smart Meters are incompatible with FiT and cannot be used to submit any kind of FiT readings. However, you can use them alongside a FiT setup without issue and enjoy the other benefits anyway.

As such, upgrading to a Smart Meter will have zero impact on your FiT payments.

Hope this helps.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    I'm afraid Smart Meters are incompatible with FiT and cannot be used to submit any kind of FiT readings. However, you can use them alongside a FiT setup without issue and enjoy the other benefits anyway.

As such, upgrading to a Smart Meter will have zero impact on your FiT payments.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That's what I understood over the last few years but they've now said I can have a SM installed and it'll not affect my FiT .

What triggered my question was from their FAQ :

Can I have a smart meter installed as I have a FiT system?

You can have a Smart Meter installed, but you would need to be happy to move from deemed export to metered. Currently you'll be on deemed export which is 50% of everything you generate, moving to a smart meter means that we'll be able to record what you actually export back to the grid, and therefore will be paid to actual readings.

I understand that I'll need to do the FiT readings manually but uncertain what the other interactions would be to cause them to write this statement and how it would affect things...
    Level 78
    Ah yes. I think there's room to re-write that answer a bit. I'll see if I can ask @Bennie_EONNext about that.