Off Peak

Level 78
    And a callback system as well. Tbh I hate call centres that don't have one...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @Stevie010

Years ago dishwashers and washing machines used both hot and cold fill, but now (EU rules?) they don't and all are cold fill only meaning electricity is used to heat the water. So using them at night on Economy 7 would make sense if you also used Economy 7 to recharge storage heaters. If you've gas heating then economy 7 probably would probably cost you more rather than saving you money.

I wouldn't use an immersion heater though, Gas is about one quarter of the price of electricity before taking boiler losses into account so its much the cheaper option. Gas unit prices have risen sharply recently, much more than electricity unit prices, but its still the more cost effective fuel. Gas used to be 20% of the electricity price, now its 25%.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    I think I'll stick as I am until I can switch around when things settle down somewhat.

However it is disappointing to receive an email stating "Making a change to your meter would be a chargeable service of £157.86"

So much for "Smart Meters" if we have to go through all this palava and expense instead of just a tariff change!

The Beatings will continue until Morale improves . . . .

Level 91
    @Stevie010

If there is a good reason for changing your meters it should be free -its arguable at the very least.
    Level 78
    @Stevie010

If there is a good reason for changing your meters it should be free -its arguable at the very least.

Agreed. Replacing the meter for basically any reason other than you want to upgrade/downgrade between Single-Phase and Three-Phase, deliberate meter tampering, moving the meter and one or two other things should be free. I fail to see any valid reason why a charge should be applied here.

Oh right, unless someone thinks you're trying to downgrade a smart meter to a traditional E7 meter... But why would you want to do that anyway? This has been a trend I've seen far too often, so I'll give @HannahD_EONNext a heads up.
    Level 1
    Hi Both.

Thanks for the info, and yes, I too think this should not be a chargeable matter.

Especially when I receive emails asking me for a meter read because for some reason thery are unable to get a reading from it? Surely then this should negate a meter change to correct this. Why do eon think I should pay this £157.86

I have to say, this is my very first experiance of "Smart meters" and thus far I'm not impressed.

Thanks again for the help.

PS Just to clarify, and I fully appreciate Meldrews point. However, I am so against running a £1,800 Gas Boiler just to heat a water tank for a shower. I would rather go economy 7 and set the timers for the imersion heater to come on to make use of the off peak, and also the Washing machine and Dishwasher too, all of which go on three times a week or sometimes more depending what I'm doing work wise. I will of course use the gas boiler to heat the water in the winter because it's going on anyway for the house heating, but not in the summer months.
    Level 91
    @Stevie010

The price of the boiler is a bit of a red herring, but i fully accept that we are all individuals and entitled to make our own decisions. As it happens, I don't use my boiler much in the summer either, because I've a solar panel that heats my hot water most days. I reckon it saves me 3,000 kWh of gas over the summer months, which sounds a lot, but hitherto hasn't been worth that much - perhaps £80 per year.

About the only good thing to come from the rising prices is that it now saves over £200 per year. I only got the system because my local council ran a scheme to install them for £500 many years ago. So its been a good investment for me, not so good for the council though.
    Level 1
    Hi All.

So, I'm still not being read via the smart meter, EON are asking me for readings still, which I will send in when I get home.

However, I'm puzzled at how my DD seems to be working out. I feel they are taking far too much because I am £176.10 in credit, and my monthly DD is £122. remember I work six days a week and live on my own, so I don't use the same as a typical household.

I was also under the impression that giving readings would mean that I pay for what I use, not letting them bank my money?
    Level 1
    take care . our radio controlled MPAN (meter) times are 11.30pm to 1.30 am -low- then back to day rate for two hours 1.30am - 3.30am , than back to low until 8.30am, then Day rate again.

Eon have absolutely no idea about the timings on the radio controlled meters and no plan when the radio signal is due to be turned off in March 2023.

we have an EV and the timing of recharging is critical, up to 50kwh per charge.

I have been trying to speak to someone at eon about this for two months.
    Level 1
    Thanks Frustrata.
    theunknowntech
    Have you told HannahD_EONNext about this thread? And what are your thoughts on my comments regarding the DD payments etc.

Thanks.