Energy saving

Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Nice going that man. And although the real chilly weather doesn't happen for another month or so, at least in three weeks time, the days start getting longer again.

If you can tolerate life with those levels of energy savings through autumn and winter, you will be in a much better place come April when the Richards really begin to hit the windmill.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I find my gas consumption is very much linked to the external temperature, and in the past has varied between 13,500 and 18,00o kWh per year. This year i've used 7500 Cu. ft, in the last 4 months and last year I used 12,200 in the same period, but that reduction is not down to any serious energy saving on my part - just the mild weather. So is your lower gas use down to the weather or you or a combination?

On the other side, my electricity has been fairly constant across the year and each year, and my reduction recently is mostly down to the new freezer cutting circa 2 kWh per day from my consumption, now total consumption about 5kWh per day. My guess is that you've still some way to go on your energy saving quest!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn
    I would say that the savings are a combination of milder weather and changes. Hot water timed to produce the minimum amount needed as and when required as opposed to On All Day. Heating only switched on when we're fed up being cold and even then the stat is set 2 degrees below what it used to be on when we had it on most of the day. LEDs fitted and not leaving lights on in empty rooms because it looks nice. Dishwasher (very full) every other day instead of every day regardless. Much reduced use of tumble dryer. Washing machine used less and on lower temps.

There's always more to be done of course, but having an easy life comes into it as well. I'm pleased with how things are and will keep reporting through the cold dark days and into the spring. Thanks for the encouragement 👍😂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I think there has to be a point at which we have to say 'You know what? That's it!'. Saving a respectable amount of energy compared to those times we could worry a little less about the cost, or going the full 'hair shirt'?

I'm not going to forsake all the comfort in my life, such as there is, but I'm OK with modifying my behaviour to make savings on the things that can be saved without impacting well being. I could double my energy savings easily enough if I only had myself to consider, but I share the hovel with a disabled person who just couldn't handle the same 'roughing it' as I could. Or, if I tried to impose a more draconian regime, they'd make even more grumbling noises than they already do!
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie
    I agree. If I lived alone I could live on next to nothing.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap @retrotecchie

I suggest SHMBO should be kept in ignorance of all this - so as not to give them ideas!
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Mine has way too many 'ideas' as it is. I'm not giving her any more ammunition...

When we moved here in December last year, I'd earmarked the downstairs room nearest the kitchen as a dining room, and the smaller room as a 'snug'. She wanted it the other way about. 345 days later, i.e. today, she finally decided my idea was probably best.

So she has spent much of the afternoon giving orders and I've been manhandling heavy furniture. My revenge? I turned the heating off. I'm plenty warm enough with all the lifting and shifting!
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie
    I agree. If I lived alone I could live on next to nothing.

I don't live alone and still have to manage on next to nothing.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 02-12-22 at 18:59.
    Level 91
    I suggest SHMBO should be kept in ignorance of all this - so as not to give them ideas!
    I agree with @retrotecchie. They’re not short of ideas as it is 😂
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

If your Flo is anything like Mrs Retro, no wonder you get a bit Grinchy come the Festering Season.

Know what she came up with tonight?

"My feet are cold! Can you put the heating on?"

Well, it is 3°C out and we've not had the heating on much today, so I gave the button a push for a quick half-hour burst...and the radiators had just started to warm up when she put a pair of woolly socks on and decided to take herself off to bed!

I reckon that cost me about 20p for heating oil and 3p for the electrics. If she'd have swanned off to her pit ten minutes earlier....I'd have had another 23p towards her Christmas pressie. Slippers don't come cheap these days, you know?! We're looking at nearly a tenner.

It's a nice toasty 14°C in my bedroom and, having got my bed back into good order after last night's ordeal, I'm looking forward to being able to chuck the throw off when I get too warm!