battery charging

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    I have new installed pv system with battery, without car charger. Just wonder e-on have any tarif available with cheaper rates during the night , when will be possible to charge battery at cheaper rates?
  • 35 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Waldi

Economy 7 would be one option, but your daytime rates would be higher. I'm not sure if they are still offering the NextDrive packages for electric cars. Is your PV system MCS certified?
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 43
    Hi @Waldi

I think Economy 7 is the only option but a chat with Customer Services might be worth it for confirmation. They don't currently offer an EV tariff either.
    Level 6
    @Waldi

Economy 7 would be one option, but your daytime rates would be higher. I'm not sure if they are still offering the NextDrive packages for electric cars. Is your PV system MCS certified?

pv system is installed by e-on so i believe is certified. Waiting for rest documents
    Level 92
    @Waldi

Yes, you'll be all good to go then. Once you get your blurb, it may give you some options too.
    Level 9
    Just a word of warning,

i have a solar system with batteries, i want to go onto Eco 7 in March 2023 (when my fixed tarriff ends) but because i have a SMETS1 smart meter E'on next insist that I pay £157 to change/update my meter.

My meter was installed by E'on in 2016, the meter is capable TOU but E'on can't or won't activate this remotely.
    Level 92
    @Taff7996

Yes your meter was installed by Eon, and was a supplier-specific SMETS1 meter. E.On Next, although part of the E.On group of companies are technically 'a different supplier' as far as SMETS1 meters are concerned.

If it has now been migrated onto DCC's network and is actually working as a smart meter, as originally intended, then that is about as good as it gets. Yes, the physical meter itself may well be capable of TOU and dual rate, but the problem is the configuration information that can be pushed to the meter remotely. Being able to tweak advanced features, change from single rate to dual rate, etc. is part of the SMETS2 specification.

Level 9
    It's totally wrong that the consumer should pay for any costs due to the fact a supplier can't change the Ssc. So even though my meter is Time of use enabled, you want me to pay £157 for the failure of your technical system to do this remotely
    Level 92
    @Taff7996

Nothing to do with me. I was just explaining the technical reasons why it is not a 'quick fix'.

It's not the failure of E.On Next's 'technical system'. It's a combination of moving from an obsolete standard to a new standard which happened in 2019, and the decision by OFGEM to take the metering responsibility away from the individual suppliers and centralise the whole system through DCC.

How provisioning for replacement of older meters is carried out is down to the supplier, but if you have SMTS1 and it works, then you are where you were in 2016.

If your meters are not faulty, still within certification window and do what they say on the tin, then E.On Next are not under any obligation to 'upgrade' them at no cost. Now, if you change tariff from single to dual rate, I would expect them to be able to provision the meter accordingly. But this cannot be done remotely. It would require an engineer visit to reprogram the meter in situ, and for DCC to then configure their data requests to pull more than one set of data from the meter.

I would naturally expect this to come at some cost, either to the supplier, to the consumer, or possibly both, but that is a business decision for E.On Next and nothing any of us have any control over.

Right or wrong, it is what it is. I'd honestly expect a meter reconfiguration to be significantly cheaper than a physical meter replacement.

Rather than just demand an SMETS2 meter, simply put in for E7 in March and argue the toss over the lower cost implications then.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 20-11-22 at 12:59.
    Level 91
    Just a word of warning,

i have a solar system with batteries, i want to go onto Eco 7 in March 2023 (when my fixed tarriff ends) but because i have a SMETS1 smart meter E'on next insist that I pay £157 to change/update my meter.

My meter was installed by E'on in 2016, the meter is capable TOU but E'on can't or won't activate this remotely.

Playing devils advocate on this one (out of character for me I know!) some would say that with your PV and battery system, you might well be able to afford the upgrade charge for the meter, which presumably will save you money in the longer term - just that the benefits will be delayed a tad.

I really don't know but could well imagine that moving to E7 from a single tariff meter might have always resulted in a charge to the end user and thus smart metering isn't the bogeyman here. Somebody with direct experience will doubtless advise soon enough.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.