Smart meter and tariff change threat

View Tag Cloud
    @CustomerOfLastResort - Thank you for your reply and whilst I understand where you are coming from, in regards to our consumerist society and scrapping of electronic and technology devices and hear your concerns. It might be useful to know that our existing meters that are removed from properties in the SMETS2 upgrades are sent back for re-purposing and recycling or broken down for parts. I have learnt this through my time here at E.ON Next attempting to track down meters that have been sent back as faulty or as part of the upgrade.
    Whilst we are on the tech recycling topic - have you seen 'Mount Recyclemore' that has gone back to the Eden Project? It is an extraordinary sculpture that highlights the damage caused by the disposal of electronic devices.

Name:  _118849157_5271a9c3-351b-40fd-94ca-7aa9adae5d31.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  77.9 KB

I don't have an E.ON Next specific document to share with you (although, I have requested that our team create one so as soon as they make one I will send it over to you), but I do have some links that may help you understand why we are so keen on getting the country switched over to a smart meter.

- Here is one from our blog with lots of other links that you can follow that explain the basic ins and outs.
    - This one is a link to the Smart Energy website who do reports on the environmental impact of having a smart meter.

The trees per year planted is based on physical trees being planted alongside one of the leading charities that we support - One Tree Planted. Have you seen the work that they do? If not I would highly recommend having a look at their 2020 Annual Report which, in my eyes, is just fantastic.
    @miketheb Hey Mike, thank you so much for commenting! I'm Beki, 👋 a Community Manager here at E.ON Next and I adore your hints and tips on energy saving! Would you like to start an energy saving tips thread? 😍
    Level 1

There are so many benefits to having a smart meter fitted. My personal favourite is the environmental impact that having a smart meter fitted has on the planet - especiallly with COP26. With smart meters comes a smarter energy grid, helping us to be more precise about the energy that everyone needs and reducing CO2 emissions by 25% in the next decade. Wonder what would happen if everyone in the UK upgraded to a smart meter? It would have the same environmental impact as planting 75 million trees. A year.

Can you substantiate that information?
    Level 29
    @ Landmark. You have no idea, keep your comments to helpful ones. I have PV, I have Solar thermal, I have lead acid and Lithium batteries and have had most of that for 10 years. And I am building a Pasive House.

Smart meters are for the suppliers and not the customer unless you go for an intelligent tariff.
    I'm sorry you feel short changed by my reply, I'm trying to be positive about it. I know going green can be expensive and difficult, but sometimes, the most ethical way is the hardest.