New DD Confusion

My DD was £92.39 a month - recent letter said it would go up to £109.26, but reduce to £42.26 taking into account the government help.

Initially yesterday app said my DD was £109.26 - so I rang up and asked for it to be kept at the £92.39 as my gas usage has gone down - I was told system wasn't available and it would be looked at next week.

In the meantime the site has updated to reflect the £67 discount, which is fine --- but it seems to be applying it to both my new and old payment amounts! (£109.26 and £92.39, both discounted by £67)

Hope this doesn't mean you're going to take two payments on DD next month?

This is what website says - and what relevance does 06/10/2022 have?:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're currently paying £92.39 Each month on the 17th

From 06/10/2022, you'll be paying £42.26 Each month on the 17th
    and
    from 01/10/2022, you'll be paying £25.39 Each month on the 17th
    Last edited by FPX; 24-09-22 at 06:42. Reason: Amend Text
  • 22 Replies

Could somebody login to their account and see if it says anything similar?
    Level 55
    My DD was £92.39 a month - recent letter said it would go up to £109.26, but reduce to £42.26 taking into account the government help.

Initially yesterday app said my DD was £109.26 - so I rang up and asked for it to be kept at the £92.39 as my gas usage has gone down - I was told system wasn't available and it would be looked at next week.

In the meantime the site has updated to reflect the £67 discount, which is fine --- but it seems to be applying it to both my new and old payment amounts! (£109.26 and £92.39, both discounted by £67)

Hope this doesn't mean you're going to take two payments on DD next month?

This is what website says - and what relevance does 06/10/2022 have?:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're currently paying £92.39 Each month on the 17th

From 06/10/2022, you'll be paying £42.26 Each month on the 17th
    and
    from 01/10/2022, you'll be paying £25.39 Each month on the 17th

For a moment forget about the £400 payment (the reduction in your DD over the next 6 months).

If you are currently on Next Flex DD then you will be paying rates at the April cap levels and that should be reflected in the present level of your DD (£92.39). The new October cap (the much publicised £2500 figure) will increase the unit rates that you currently pay to somewhere in the region of 34p/kWh for electric and 10.3p/kWh for gas. I have not seen any publication from Eon Next or been advised yet but assume they will fall into line with what has been announced by Edf and at MSE. So I would expect Eon Next to increase your DD accordingly. If you have a reasonable amount of credit in your account I would expect Eon Next to want to increase your DD by about 26.8 % so if you were on £92.39 (and this was an appropriate amount to pay for your energy) I'd expect Eon would want to increase your headline DD to circa £117.18

It looks to me as if they initially did the calculation excluding the £400, so this suggests to me that you probably use a little bit less than the Ofgem average/you have a very heathly credit balance on your account as they calculate your nominal October DD amount to be £109.26. Only you can determine how reasonable this is but you need to know what your actual usage is likely to be over the next 6 months so if you regularly submit accurate readings every month you can check for yourself.

Now factor in the £67 DD reduction to make your actual October DD amount £42.26 (the other amount is superceded by the uptick on your headline DD which is why you see a later date). When it comes to your account I would expect to see a total of £109.26 credited (made up of £42.26 - your actual payment + £67 - the first tranche of the gov assistance)

So to answer your question, your DD on 17th should be £42.26 on the 17th if you agree to the uptick on the nominal DD to £109.26 and £25.39 if you want to insist on keeping the nominal DD set at its current level. Remember though that unit rates are rising circa 25-26% on the April cap rates so you should expect a rise in the nominal DD amount. If you don't raise the nominal DD your account will end up being credited slightly less each month and possibly make your next review DD higher than £109.26 nominal amount.
    I wish I'd never rang now because I'm happy with the £42.26 being taken. If I hadn't looked at the site until today I would never have seen the initial DD saying they were taking the full £109.26.

So if I do nothing will the £42.26 be taken or will whoever looks at it next week change that to the lower amount?
    Last edited by FPX; 24-09-22 at 09:25. Reason: Extra
    Level 91
    @FPX

In my online account it simply has a message saying that some customers have received emails or letters informing them of their payment changing and that the figures quoted there are correct. The changes are taking longer to reflect in your online account.

You have some time before these changes take effect so you will probably need to contact customer service to clarify your exact position as it does look a bit confusing. You can find contact details here
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 55
    I wish I'd never rang now because I'm happy with the £42.26 being taken. If I hadn't looked at the site until today I would never have seen the initial DD saying they were taking the full £109.26.

So if I do nothing will the £42.26 be taken or will whoever looks at it next week change that to the lower amount?

I'd be inclined to leave it as is. If they end up taking the lower amount out, you can always increase your DD back up to the level you want for the following month. If the account is still showing £109.26 with no change over the next few days then it is likely to stay at this amount for the October DD with you actually paying just £42.26p.
    Level 1
    You're not the only one to suffer from Direct Debit estimation insanity.

---------------------------------------------
    You're currently paying£154.36
    Each month on the 15th
    From 06/10/2022, you'll be paying£95.47
    Each month on the 15th
    and
    from 01/10/2022, you'll be paying£87.36
    Each month on the 15th

---------------------------------------------
    Level 18
    Like others. I see that my DD has been amended, but not the unit rate for electricity.
    Electricity
    Next Online v14
    Starting on 02/10/2022
    Fixed term ends 02/10/2023
    38.37 p/kWh 42.24 p/day(All rates inc. VAT).

Are Eon just being slow and is it likely that the actual unit rates will change on my account on 1st October
    Level 91
    From what I read in my online account the DD shown there will take time to update.

If you have received an email or letter with your new DD then that is the accurate one.

The whole affair is tying people up in knots. My approach is to wait until October and take it from there but I appreciate lots of people are very worried not knowing if they can afford whatever it is they’re going to be charged.
    Level 55
    Like others. I see that my DD has been amended, but not the unit rate for electricity.
    Electricity
    Next Online v14
    Starting on 02/10/2022
    Fixed term ends 02/10/2023
    38.37 p/kWh 42.24 p/day(All rates inc. VAT).

Are Eon just being slow and is it likely that the actual unit rates will change on my account on 1st October

The EPG kicks in from October 1st so I doubt that Eon feel able to state the rates in advance of this date - the date when all them tariffs for fixed rate tariffs are reduced by the terms of the EPG. However I do believe that people should be informed rather than having to work it out for themselves or seek help on forums such as this.