Saved money by having a smart meter?

Head of Community
    Hi everyone!

We know there's lots of people here on our lovely community because of their smart meter and whilst that's sometimes because they're not quite working as they should be - we know we have some fans too!

We're big fans of smart meters here at E.ON Next and love to shout about the MANY benefits they have. In fact we love to shout about it that much we're working The Daily Mail on an article that talks about the many benefits including the main one - saving you money!

Have you found yourself turning off those appliances that were constantly left on since you saw how much they were using? Or maybe do the run around the house when you spot the display showing that red light!? Or just became more aware of how much you used so cut back - we'd love for you to share your wins!

We're looking for one customer to speak to the Daily Mail about their smart meter saving them money and we thought our community was just the place to find you! There is a slight urgency though...they'd need to speak to you tomorrow morning - eek!

Fancy a chat with them? Just pop your name below in the comments or if you'd prefer send me a direct message and I'll be in touch!
  • 36 Replies

Level 78
    Unfortunately... As much as I would be happy to help, I'm not a customer! And due to personal circumstances, me taking this on would create a massive conflict of interest.
    @Landmark however... Might be a different story...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 29
    Gosh, that's short notice; oh... very well, Hannah I can oblige them by sharing my experience since being fitted with a Smart meter at the end of last year (2021)😊

Eon Next Customer

Head of Community
    Thanks for replying both! I've dropped you a message @Landmark to get some details from you.

Knew our community would come through on this one!
    Level 91
    I'd like to offer my services in explaining why smart meters are a complete and very expensive con that we'd be massively better off without.
    Level 91
    This is from the 2019 cost benefit analysis produced by the Government.Name:  smart meter benefits.jpg
Views: 12201
Size:  27.7 KB

Customer benefits amount to 39%. Thant's if you believe the Government's warped accounting! Supplier benefits are greater, so saving customers money isn't the main benefit - is it?
    @meldrewreborn There has been a substantial amount of research done on how and why smart meters will save money and this is one subject that I truly enjoy discussing. It's not just me though, there are so many unbiased sources of why smart meters are the future, not just for customers but for climate change on the whole.

Did you read the report that was attached to that graphic and the evidence that they based this from?
    The EDRP trials most closely comparable to the GB smart meter roll-out found electricity reductions of 2% to 4%, and these savings were sustained for the duration of the trials (which ran for up to 2 years). Reductions of around 3% were observed in gas consumption.

We all know that a low (or no if I had my way) carbon future is the next step to the climate crisis, and the UK aim is to reduce emissions to 'net zero' by 2050, and in order to achieve this, how we travel, heat and power our homes and where we get our energy from needs to change. Smart meters are a huge part of this.

They bill the consumers usage accurately, sending us real time readings (where opted in) to get an overall outlook on days, times and how people are consuming energy. If everyone in the UK had a smart meter, we could paint a national picture of supply and demand, and therefore we will know why and how much green energy we need to produce.

There is incentive for people to save money, as well as energy companies to make a drastic impact on the energy that we buy and consume. Saving money and saving the planet. Win win in my eyes 🌍
    Level 43

They bill the consumers usage accurately, sending us real time readings (where opted in) to get an overall outlook on days, times and how people are consuming energy. If everyone in the UK had a smart meter, we could paint a national picture of supply and demand, and therefore we will know why and how much green energy we need to produce.

Hi @Beki_EONNext

Surely National Grid have always been on top of supply and demand, don't smart meters just show what's been used at a specific property rather than a local area? I seem to remember that back in 1980 when Kristin was unmasked (It was BIG news back then) NG or whatever they were called at that time, were ready for a surge in demand at the end of the show as the tea addicts headed for their kettles. So they can 'easily' anticipate demand and have done for decades.

Surely there should be more education on the basics, what you use, why, when, appliances etc, than just fitting smart meters.
    Smart meters seem to be hailed as the answer, but for the customer all they do is show their current electricity usage in watts.
    @Andy65 I think NG can guess at what points supply and demand would be, however there is minimal data collected on exactly how much is used per area of the country, from counties down to towns and streets. As you can imagine this data would vary massively house to house and county to county. The information collected by smart meters will give us a seriously accurate representation of the energy we need to produce to meet our demand.

I agree with you about the need for further education of the amount of energy we as consumers use but I also think that smart meters are a huge part of that in the long run. There is a great website from the Energy Saving Trust full of hints and tips on how to save energy.