Bye Bye Gas

Level 1
    Having my gas boiler and supply disconnected.
    Email sent to Eon asking about 'what happens next' - no reply!
    Has anyone else got advice on how to tell Eon? What happens next? When will payments for Gas service stop? What happens to Smart meter?

In this time of financial crisis, when we are doing all we can to reduce energy costs, it soooo nice to see that Eon cares!
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hi @FireStick ,

I'm actually not too sure on the answer to this one, so I summoned my buddy Blastoise186 of the OVO Forum for advice. He's dealt with this question before and came back with the answer pretty quickly. He also recommended I share his guide with you, so please take this with his (and my!) compliments: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-accou...-tutorial-9166

If you've arranged to have the gas meter removed permanently, this will trigger a process of completely disconnecting your supply and your active supplier (E.On Next in this case) can take care of all the relevant paperwork and other tasks. Your charges will mostly cease as of the date the gas meter is removed and all charges will cease once the MPRN for your supply has been decommissioned. After you pay off the Final Bill for the disconnected gas supply, your account for it will be closed down automatically. Your electric account and supply will remain active and unaffected.

The gas smart meter will be decommissioned and then taken away to either be refurbished or disposed of safely. You will not be expected to dispose of it yourself.

I hope this helps. If you're still unsure about anything, please let me know. Either myself or Blastoise will probably know the answer!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
  • Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    No worries.

I'm afraid disconnecting and completely removing the gas meter is the only way to guarantee that all gas charges cease and this usually takes place if you intend to completely disconnect anyway. If you're planning to totally and permanently discontinue using gas outright, this is the recommended option for safety reasons as well.
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech thanks for your response.

My only comment is your terminology! You said disconnecting your meter .... hmm. I'm not looking for the meter to be disconnected (hadn't thought about that), only for my physical use of gas to be disconnected. I appreciate (now) that there are multiple elements to my gas supply: actual pipe connection to supply, Smart meter at supply and internal to my house, termination at my boiler with associated gas/water piping.

I was hoping (?) to have my boiler disconnected and removed, terminate all water piping (to hot water and radiators), terminate gas supply into house and, of course, for gas supply to be turned off (shutting supply valve). Is this sufficient for my Eon energy supplier to stop charging me for gas? Still not sure.

I shall read info on the link you provided. Many thanks for that and your response!