Why are e.on electricity prices linked to global oil prices

Level 13
    @MAW

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Its not about opinion though. Its about facts.

You choose to blame the unhinged dictator.

I choose to blame those who have decimated our energy security for decades, and outsourced our energy production largely to the same unhinged dictator and supply for 2 decades.

What Putin has done is not a surprise. It was as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

Those in charge put us in the position where we have almost no coal, import ALL our gas and have ZERO storage or back up facility.

And you want to give them a pass?
    Level 91
    @MAW

It is about facts and it is about how one interprets those facts. We do not import all of our gas (much comes from the north sea) and the storage which was closed is now being reopened. This winter the storage would not have been needed as supplies were available albeit expensive. And we have to pay to keep that facility open.

There can be multiple opinions - there are people who think Trump is great. I don't! Some people vote Labour, others vote Conservative , Green, Lib Dem etc all from the same situation.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 12
    I don't understand why electric prices are linked to gas prices, but we shouldn't be in a situation where we are effectively getting shop's own brand cornflakes for the price of Kellogg's
    Level 91
    @gbhxu

it’s down to the way the market works which used to keep prices stable and low but not now. All the generators of electricity are able to get the price’s offered to the most expensive - which is gas. The contracting arrangements will probably change in the future, it’s being picked over now.
    Level 55
    I don't understand why electric prices are linked to gas prices, but we shouldn't be in a situation where we are effectively getting shop's own brand cornflakes for the price of Kellogg's

At the consumer level we are getting electricity delivered to our homes via the National Grid with no way of specifying that we want the value brand of electricity rather than the Kellog's brand. I'm not saying this is right with calls for renewables to be treated somewhat differently than they now are because of the marginal pricing model used in current energy pricing in Europe and obviously here in the UK.

Just a search on 'why electric prices are linked to gas prices' will show a variety of sources going into more depth about it all and potential solutions being looked at for down the road.
    Level 12
    So the claim that Eon Next provide 100% renewable electricity is BS!?
    Level 92
    @gbhxu

Of course it is. However, they buy in generation from as many renewable assets as they can, and for non renewable assets they trade carbon assets or renewable obligation certificates. We all have the same electrons coming down the wires, no matter what the source. The 'renewables' bit is all theoretical and notional at generation level and actually doesn't make any difference to the customer. It depends on what you define as renewable.

Of course, those companies who buy in Renewable Obligations will claim their energy is renewable when in fact it isn't. It's just semantics. The only way you can be sure your energy is 'a hundred percent renewable' is to disconnect from the grid and generate your own, which I plan to do later this year.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 04-02-23 at 14:36.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Their justification is that they put into the grid more 100% green energy than their consumers take out - the advertising standards agency is the place to complain.

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last. But if you have any ideas about how it could be better expressed in succinct terms we'd like to hear them.